Jagr scores 700th goal as Devils crush IslesMar 2, 2014 - 1:27 AM
Jagr became the seventh player in NHL history to reach the 700-goal mark, joining Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Brett Hull, Marcel Dionne, Phil Esposito and Mike Gartner.
Jagr admitted 700 is a lot of goals.
"Maybe not for Wayne Gretzky," he said, "but for the rest of us, yeah it's a pretty big number. Eight-hundred is a little bit better than 700."
Adam Henrique, Ryane Clowe, Eric Gelinas, Marek Zidlicky and Jagr each had a goal and an assist for the Devils, who have won two in a row. Mark Fayne also lit the lamp.
Martin Brodeur made 18 saves in his first start since a bad performance against the New York Rangers at Yankee Stadium on Jan. 26, when he was pulled after giving up six goals in two periods.
"There are only two games left before the trade deadline. We'll see what that's going to bring," said Brodeur. "If I do get traded, this is probably going to be my last game. If I don't, hopefully there will be more (games)."
Kyle Okposo scored the lone goal for the Islanders, who failed to build off Thursday's overtime win against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Evgeni Nabokov stopped 14-of-19 shots before being pulled. Anders Nilsson, who was recalled from Bridgeport (AHL) prior to the game, turned aside 15-of-16 shots in the third period.
Henrique's power-play goal five minutes into the game jump-started New Jersey's offense.
Jagr's milestone goal came at 3:31 of the second period. The 42-year-old powered his way into the slot before taking a shot that deflected off a skate and past Nabokov.
Clowe added a power-play goal at 4:40 when he scored from the left circle off a pass from Henrique.
Okposo got the Islanders on the board at the 6:14 mark when he deflected Thomas Vanek's shot from the left circle.
Zidlicky's power-play goal at 8:07 extended New Jersey's lead to 4-1. Zidlicky one-timed Jagr's cross-ice pass past Nabokov.
Fayne's one-timer from the right point made it a four-goal game at 14:54 of the second frame.
Gelinas recorded the Devils' fourth power-play goal of the contest at the 19:21 mark of the third period. His one-timer from the top of the right circle beat Nilsson.
"I thought we came out of the first in really good shape," said Islanders coach Jack Capuano. "We were structured, we were doing the right things, we didn't give them any chances. We didn't respond after the power-play goals and if you give up four in a game, you're not going to win."
The Devils have taken two of three against the Islanders this season ... New Jersey forward Damien Brunner (charley horse) and defenseman Bryce Salvador (bruised collarbone) missed the game ... New Jersey went 4-for-8 on the power play, while New York was 0-for-3 on the man advantage.
- NEW JERSEY: 6
NEW YORK: 1
Mar 1 4:10 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Eric Gelinas (7), at 19:21.
Devils 6, Islanders 1 3rd - 0:39Mar 1 3:41 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 5
NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 1 2:44 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Mark Fayne, at 14:54.
Devils 5, Islanders 1 2nd - 5:06Mar 1 2:35 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Marek Zidlicky (9), at 8:07.
Devils 4, Islanders 1 2nd - 11:53Mar 1 2:22 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Thomas Vanek (20), at 6:14.
Devils 3, Islanders 1 2nd - 13:46Mar 1 2:17 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Ryane Clowe (5), at 4:40.
Devils 3, Islanders 0 2nd - 15:20Mar 1 2:14 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Jaromir Jagr (19), at 3:31.
Devils 2, Islanders 0 2nd - 16:29Mar 1 2:11 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 1
NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Mar 1 1:47 PM
- Thomas Hickey shot blocked by Stephen Gionta.
Devils 1, Islanders 0 1st - 14:37Mar 1 1:17 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Adam Henrique (17), at 5:00.
Devils 1, Islanders 0 1st - 15:00Mar 1 1:15 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 1 1:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7