Isles pull off late victory against PenguinsOct 26, 2013 - 3:22 AM
Frans Nielsen registered a goal and two assists for the Islanders, who won for just the second time in their last seven games. Evgeni Nabokov stopped 39 Pittsburgh shots, including 19 in the second period.
One-goal games have been the norm for New York this season. Nine of its first 10 games have been decided by the slimmest of margins.
"As the game went along, we felt like we could score a goal, be right back in the game and then turn the table on them," Nabokov said. "We didn't quit. We put the puck at the net, and good things happened."
Jeff Zatkoff, making his second NHL start, allowed four goals on 25 shots for Pittsburgh, which has lost consecutive games for the first time this year. The Penguins were shut out by the Colorado Avalanche 1-0 on Monday.
"I felt way better," Zatkoff said of his second start. "I felt confident the whole game. Just ten minutes got away from us, it's frustrating. A game we probably should have had. Credit them, they played hard and got the win."
There was a wild sequence prior to Bailey's game-winner as the teams combined for three goals in a 69-second span.
Nielsen tied things up at 2-2 when he deftly directed in Thomas Hickey's pass from the left point behind Zatkoff with 7:14 to go in the third.
Deryk Engelland put the Penguins back on top 16 seconds later. The defenseman- turned-forward was not impeded as he drove the crease and hammered Joe Vitale's backhand pass into an open net.
Pierre-Marc Bouchard then netted the equalizer after a failed clearing attempt, slipping a backhander between the pads of Zatkoff with 6:05 left.
Bailey worked hard for his goal, diving forward and chipping the puck past a prone Zatkoff.
The Islanders were called for four penalties to the Penguins' one in the first period, but the visitors, however, converted their lone power play.
John Tavares fed Nielsen for a redirect in the slot and Matt Moulson potted the rebound on the backhand from the doorstep at the 10:14 mark.
Jussi Jokinen answered 3:11 later for the hosts by sweeping in a rebound. The tally came three seconds after a Penguins man advantage expired.
The Penguins peppered Nabokov with 20 shots in the second period and seized the lead on Sidney Crosby's eighth goal of the year.
New York rookie defenseman Matt Donovan fanned on his shot in the Pittsburgh end, resulting in a turnover and a 2-on-1 counter rush by Chris Kunitz and Crosby. The Penguins captain carried the puck down the right wing and ripped a shot from the faceoff circle that beat Nabokov to the far side at 5:59.
Pittsburgh defenseman Kris Letang made his season debut. He missed the first nine games with a lower-body injury ... The teams met for the first time since the Penguins ousted the Islanders in overtime of Game 6 of their first-round playoff series this past spring ... Moulson now has six goals this season, all but one on the power play ... Tavares extended his point streak to nine games (4G, 8A) ... Islanders forward Michael Grabner served the finale of a two-game suspension for an illegal check to head of Carolina forward Nathan Gerbe ... Pittsburgh forward Jayson Megna made his NHL debut.
- NEW YORK: 4
Oct 25 9:40 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Josh Bailey (4), from Frans Nielsen at 18:20.
Islanders 4, Penguins 3 3rd - 1:40Oct 25 9:38 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Pierre-Marc Bouchard, at 13:55.
Islanders 3, Penguins 3 3rd - 6:05Oct 25 9:31 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Deryk Engelland, at 13:02.
Islanders 2, Penguins 3 3rd - 6:58Oct 25 9:27 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Frans Nielsen (6), from Thomas Hickey at 12:46.
Islanders 2, Penguins 2 3rd - 7:14Oct 25 9:26 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 25 8:45 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Sidney Crosby (8), at 5:59.
Islanders 1, Penguins 2 2nd - 14:01Oct 25 8:17 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Oct 25 7:48 PM
- Radek Martinek shot blocked by Brooks Orpik.
Islanders 1, Penguins 1 1st - 5:36Oct 25 7:36 PM
- Kris Letang shot blocked by Matt Martin.
Islanders 1, Penguins 0 1st - 8:05Oct 25 7:34 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Jussi Jokinen (5), at 13:25.
Islanders 1, Penguins 1 1st - 6:35Oct 25 7:34 PM
- NY Islanders Power-Play Goal - Matt Moulson (6), at 10:14.
Islanders 1, Penguins 0 1st - 9:46Oct 25 7:28 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 25 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19