Kessel, Leafs down IslesNov 20, 2013 - 4:54 AM
Mason Raymond and David Clarkson notched a goal apiece, while Joffrey Lupul registered three assists for the Leafs, who have won two straight.
Jonathan Bernier backstopped the victory with 35 saves.
Frans Nielsen and Casey Cizikas each scored once for the Islanders, who have lost six of their last eight games.
"We definitely weren't hard enough on their skill and that's unacceptable," Cizikas said. "We played without a heartbeat tonight and it showed on the scoreboard."
Kevin Poulin permitted all five goals on 24 shots in defeat.
Lupul helped get the Leafs on the board less than 30 seconds in, as he charged down the right side and dipped below the goal line before centering the disc for a trailing Smith, who tapped the puck past Poulin's short-side to make it 1-0 just 22 seconds into the tilt.
Kessel's power-play marker 11:19 into the second doubled Toronto's lead, but the Isles cut the margin in half late in the frame when Cizikas blocked Cody Franson's shot from the right point and skated in on a breakaway before slipping the puck under Bernier's pads to make it 2-1 at 19:48.
Raymond stuffed in a rebound off an odd-man rush 3:39 into the third to push the Leafs' lead to 3-1 before Clarkson scored his first goal with Toronto at the 12:52 mark to give the home team a 4-1 cushion.
"It does feel good, I guess, to get some people off my back a little bit," Clarkson joked of scoring his first goal since signing with the team in the offseason.
Nielsen lit the lamp under three minutes later to get New York within two, but Kessel capped his two-goal night with his 12th of the season at 17:17 to account for the final margin.
New York forward Thomas Vanek missed his fifth straight game due to an upper- body injury ... The Islanders fell to 3-7-0 on the road this season ... Toronto improved to 8-2-0 at home this season ... New York finished 0-for-2 on the power play while Toronto went 1-for-2 on the man advantage.
- NEW YORK: 2
Nov 19 9:41 PM
- Toronto Goal - Phil Kessel (12), from James van Riemsdyk and Trevor Smith at 17:17.
Islanders 2, Maple Leafs 5 3rd - 2:43Nov 19 9:35 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Frans Nielsen (10), at 15:14.
Islanders 2, Maple Leafs 4 3rd - 4:46Nov 19 9:33 PM
- Toronto Goal - David Clarkson, from Trevor Smith at 12:52.
Islanders 1, Maple Leafs 4 3rd - 7:08Nov 19 9:25 PM
- Toronto Goal - Mason Raymond (8), at 3:39.
Islanders 1, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 16:21Nov 19 9:09 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 19 8:43 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Casey Cizikas (3), at 19:48.
Islanders 1, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 0:12Nov 19 8:42 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Phil Kessel (11), from Joffrey Lupul and Dion Phaneuf at 11:18.
Islanders 0, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 8:42Nov 19 8:24 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Nov 19 7:45 PM
- Toronto Goal - Trevor Smith (3), at :22.
Islanders 0, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 19:38Nov 19 7:10 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 19 7:06 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7