Flyers continue recent success by topping IslandersNov 24, 2013 - 4:32 AM
Wayne Simmonds and Claude Giroux added a goal and assist each for the Flyers, who almost wasted a three-goal lead, but extended their season high of accumulating points to seven straight games (6-0-1) by sweeping a three-game residency.
Brayden Schenn posted a late tally to back 36 saves from Steve Mason.
John Tavares and Eric Boulton scored for the Islanders, who have dropped three in a row and eight of their last 10 outings.
Kevin Poulin was chased after Philly beat him three times in the first four minutes of the second period. Anders Nilsson finished up by stopping 12-of-13 shots.
New York got on the board with Tavares' backhander off a Thomas Vanek centering feed with 5:56 on the second-period clock, then climbed within a goal at 2:39 of the third period as Boulton tapped in a Casey Cizikas feed following the latter's left-circle faceoff win.
Scott Hartnell was denied an insurance goal just after the four-minute mark of the third period, when review determined his try from behind the net only reached the inside of the cage after it was lifted off its moorings.
Philly did get the crucial tally with 7:39 to play, as Nilsson steered a missed centering pass into the slot, where Schenn one-timed his gift into the upper-right corner for a 4-2 game.
The Islanders skated 6-on-5 once the clock ticked down to two minutes remaining, and Read deposited his second of the contest into the empty cage with 49 seconds left.
A scoreless first 20 minutes passed where each team unleashed 10 shots on goal.
The Flyers struck at the 46-second mark of the second period. Steve Downie kept the puck alive along the left-wing boards and Sean Couturier's blast from between the circles kicked out, where Read made no mistake on the rebound.
"I'd say a little bit of luck, being in the right spot at the right time," Read said of his recent goal success. "My line mates are doing all the work and I've just been benefiting from them. I give all the credit to those two. We'll just keep working together, and hopefully continue to have success."
Less than a minute later, Simmonds finished off a 3-on-2 by beating Poulin on the short side from the right circle.
It was 3-0 at 3:48, when Giroux ripped a shot from his usual spot in the left circle past a diving Isles netminder during a power play and Nilsson was called on to take the crease from Poulin.
"It really put us behind the 8-ball," Tavares said of falling behind 3-0. "And it's going to be tough to win any hockey game in this league when we have some meltdowns and some breakdowns like that after five minutes there, and it really hurt us."
Mason extended his streak of allowing no more than three goals in any start to 22 games since arriving in Philadelphia at March's trade deadline ... The Flyers won three straight home games in the same residency since doing so from Mar. 30-Apr. 3, 2013, and have taken four in a row in Philadelphia overall for the first time this season ... In addition, the Orange and Black improved to 32-4-2 over the Isles since the start of the 2007-08 season.
- NEW YORK: 2
Nov 23 9:38 PM
- Wayne Simmonds shot blocked by Matt Carkner.
Islanders 2, Flyers 5 3rd - 0:36Nov 23 9:37 PM
- John Tavares slap shot on Steve Mason.
Islanders 2, Flyers 4 3rd - 0:54Nov 23 9:37 PM
- Philadelphia Empty Net Goal - Matt Read (8), at 19:11.
Islanders 2, Flyers 5 3rd - 0:49Nov 23 9:37 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Brayden Schenn (7), at 12:21.
Islanders 2, Flyers 4 3rd - 7:39Nov 23 9:24 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Eric Boulton, at 2:39.
Islanders 2, Flyers 3 3rd - 17:21Nov 23 9:03 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 23 8:41 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - John Tavares (10), at 14:04.
Islanders 1, Flyers 3 2nd - 5:56Nov 23 8:30 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Claude Giroux (3), at 3:48.
Islanders 0, Flyers 3 2nd - 16:12Nov 23 8:12 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Wayne Simmonds (4), at 1:45.
Islanders 0, Flyers 2 2nd - 18:15Nov 23 8:06 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Matt Read (7), from Sean Couturier and Steve Downie at :46.
Islanders 0, Flyers 1 2nd - 19:14Nov 23 8:06 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Nov 23 7:47 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 23 7:11 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7