Coyotes double-up IslandersDec 13, 2013 - 5:57 AM
Mike Ribeiro had a goal and two assists while Mikkel Boedker scored twice for the Coyotes, who have won two straight. Mike Smith gave up three goals on 24 shots in the victory.
"Everyone can chip in here and everyone can score," said Ribeiro. "The defense likes to chip in, too, so it can make matching up against us hard on other teams."
Kyle Okposo, Eric Boulton and John Tavares all scored for the Islanders, who had snapped a 10-game losing streak on Tuesday with a win over San Jose. Kevin Poulin gave up all six goals on 36 shots in the loss.
"When you give up six goals like that and leave your goalie out to dry is unacceptable," said Tavares. "We've got to work on our defense here or we're going to keep dropping games."
The Islanders took the initial lead of the game at 13:06 of the first as Andrew MacDonald sent a shot from the left point that Boulton tipped in down low.
Phoenix, though, tied the game 1:28 later while on the power play as Keith Yandle whipped it into the net from the high slot with traffic in front.
Over a span of 3:41 in the second period, the Coyotes found the back of the net three times, started on Klinkhammer's first of the game when he gained the zone down the right wing and left a drop pass for Ribeiro, who sent it back to Klinkhammer for the bad-angle shot into the net at 2:34.
Less than two minutes later the Coyotes lit the lamp again as Boedker was credited with the goal during a scrum in front, and Ribeiro made it a 4-1 game on his one-timer from the slot at 6:15.
Tavares got a goal back for the Islanders as he snapped it home from the left wing on a rush play at 11:42, and Okposo scored 1:23 later as Brian Strait sent a shot on net from the left point that Okposo tipped in from in front.
The Coyotes, though, took a 5-3 lead into the third period as Boedker caused a turnover in the neutral zone and pass it off to his left from Brian Strait, who gained the line and sent it back to the middle where Boedker snapped it home with 1:01 to play in the frame.
Klinkhammer put the game out of reach with 5:47 to play as he scored his second of the game and seventh of the season off a feed from Ribeiro.
Phoenix hosts Carolina on Saturday ... New York returns home to face Montreal on Thursday ... The Islanders had taken a 6-1 win over the Coyotes in New York on Oct. 8 ... Phoenix went 1-for-4 on the power play while New York was 0- for-3.
- NEW YORK: 3
Dec 12 11:34 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Rob Klinkhammer (7), at 14:13.
Islanders 3, Coyotes 6 3rd - 5:47Dec 12 11:20 PM
- NEW YORK: 3
End of 2nd
Dec 12 10:38 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Mikkel Boedker (9), from Mike Ribeiro at 18:59.
Islanders 3, Coyotes 5 2nd - 1:01Dec 12 10:36 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Brian Strait, at 13:05.
Islanders 3, Coyotes 4 2nd - 6:55Dec 12 10:25 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Cal Clutterbuck (4), at 11:42.
Islanders 2, Coyotes 4 2nd - 8:18Dec 12 10:21 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Mike Ribeiro (9), from Tim Kennedy at 6:15.
Islanders 1, Coyotes 4 2nd - 13:45Dec 12 10:10 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Mikkel Boedker (8), from Antoine Vermette and Keith Yandle at 4:31.
Islanders 1, Coyotes 3 2nd - 15:29Dec 12 10:07 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Rob Klinkhammer (6), at 2:34.
Islanders 1, Coyotes 2 2nd - 17:26Dec 12 10:03 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Dec 12 9:41 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Keith Yandle (4), at 14:34.
Islanders 1, Coyotes 1 1st - 5:26Dec 12 9:31 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Eric Boulton (2), from Andrew MacDonald and Brian Strait at 13:06.
Islanders 1, Coyotes 0 1st - 6:54Dec 12 9:28 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 12 9:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7