Rangers get the best of Islanders, this time indoorsFeb 1, 2014 - 4:27 AM
Two nights after making 30 saves in a 2-1 decision over the Islanders at Yankee Stadium, Lundqvist turned aside 38-of-39 shots to lead the Rangers to a third straight win overall.
"He made some unreal saves and had total control and permitted us to bring it [tied] to the third," said Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault of Lundqvist. "Then we played a real solid third period."
Brian Boyle and Ryan McDonagh also had goals for the Blueshirts, with Marc Staal registering a pair of assists in the triumph.
Kyle Okposo had the lone score for the struggling Islanders, now 0-4-1 since a 5-3 verdict over the Rangers at MSG on Jan. 21. Evgeni Nabokov stopped 33- of-36 chances in defeat.
The Rangers lit the lamp three times in the final eight minutes to break a 1-1 deadlock, with Brassard beginning the barrage by completing a transition rush in which he crashed the net to tap in a well-placed feed sent by Staal from the left circle into the slot with 7:46 remaining.
Richards made it a two-goal advantage 2:45 later, splitting the Islander defense while taking in a give from Ryan Callahan and rifling a shot past an unguarded Nabokov.
A late slashing penalty to captain John Tavares helped thwart any comeback attempt from the Islanders, and McDonagh sealed the victory by firing a loose puck down the ice and into an open net with just one second left on the clock.
"We just looked like we ran out of gas," Tavares said. "We just didn't seem to have that extra gear when we needed it."
The Rangers peppered Nabokov early on, recording six shots over the game's first two minutes and gaining a quick upper hand when Boyle redirected a Staal wrister into the Islander net a mere 3:29 in.
Roles were reversed in the second period, as the Islanders controlled the action throughout with a 19-shot outburst that included Okposo's game-tying tally.
Calvin de Haan sent a long drive from the right boards that Lundqvist got a piece of, but Okposo was left all alone to deposit the rebound into an open left side with 5:32 to go in the session.
The Rangers won three of the five matchups between the rivals in the season series, with the Isles taking both prior meetings at MSG by identical 5-3 scores ... The Islanders went 0-for-3 on the power play and are scoreless in 20 chances with the man advantage during their five-game skid ... Okposo has five goals and seven assists over his last eight games ... The Islanders fell to 5-14-3 against fellow Metropolitan Division foes this season and 2-21-5 when scoring two goals or less.
- NEW YORK: 1
NEW YORK: 4
Jan 31 9:45 PM
- NY Rangers Empty Net Goal - Ryan McDonagh (8), at 19:59.
Islanders 1, Rangers 4 3rd - 0:01Jan 31 9:44 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brad Richards, at 14:59.
Islanders 1, Rangers 3 3rd - 5:01Jan 31 9:31 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Derick Brassard (9), from Marc Staal and Mats Zuccarello at 12:14.
Islanders 1, Rangers 2 3rd - 7:46Jan 31 9:27 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Jan 31 8:44 PM
- Anton Stralman shot blocked by Andrew MacDonald.
Islanders 1, Rangers 1 2nd - 4:08Jan 31 8:37 PM
- Calvin de Haan shot blocked by Ryan Callahan.
Islanders 0, Rangers 1 2nd - 5:34Jan 31 8:35 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Kyle Okposo, at 14:28.
Islanders 1, Rangers 1 2nd - 5:32Jan 31 8:33 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Jan 31 7:51 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brian Boyle (4), at 3:29.
Islanders 0, Rangers 1 1st - 16:31Jan 31 7:20 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 31 7:14 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7