Jets top Rangers in New YorkDec 3, 2013 - 4:49 AM
Jokinen broke a 2-2 tie at the 12:42 mark and struck again with 1:54 remaining before Blake Wheeler provided an empty-netter inside the final minute.
Devin Setoguchi and John Albert, making his NHL debut, scored 1:44 apart in the second period for the Jets, who improved to 3-1-0 on their six-game road trip against Eastern Conference opponents.
"I thought we got some good production from a lot of people," said Jets coach Claude Noel.
Ondrej Pavelec earned the win with a 35-save effort.
Ryan Callahan and Mats Zuccarello supplied the goals for New York, which has dropped five of its last nine games.
"We're definitely not getting the traction that I think we want, that I know we want," said Rangers coach Alain Vigneault. "The only way we are going to get traction and get better is by playing more consistent hockey. Is this team a .500 hockey club? We're certainly playing like one right now. If we want to get off of the .500 mark we are going to have to start playing better."
Rookie Cam Talbot endured the worst outing of his NHL career, surrendering four goals on 29 shots. The 26-year-old had allowed two or fewer goals in each of his first seven NHL starts, winning the last six.
Forechecking by Chris Thorburn triggered a loose puck that Jokinen jumped on in the slot and fired behind Talbot with 7:18 to play. Jokinen beat Talbot again on a rush, ripping a shot from between the circles that squeezed through the netminder.
The Rangers opened the scoring when Zuccarello tipped in Ryan McDonagh's left- point slapper 2:49 into the contest.
Winnipeg seized the lead with two quick goals.
Setoguchi beat Talbot with a wrister from the right circle off a Jokinen feed at 8:16 of the middle stanza. Albert, recalled from St. John's of the American Hockey League on Sunday, finished off a breakaway at the 10-minute mark.
Defenseman Dustin Byfuglien picked off Derick Brassard's pass in the Winnipeg zone and dished to Albert, who ripped a shot between the stick and body of Talbot.
Callahan tied things up during a scrum in the crease with 4:10 left in the second.
The last goaltender to limit opponents to two or fewer goals in each of his first seven NHL starts was Boston's Frank Brimsek, who did so in his first 12 starts in 1938-39 ... The Rangers fell to 8-2-0 when leading after the first period this season ... Winnipeg improved to 7-2-1 against the East ... Jets forward Evander Kane missed the game with a lower-body injury sustained early in the second period of Friday's 2-1 loss in Philadelphia.
- WINNIPEG: 5
NEW YORK: 2
Dec 2 9:33 PM
- Winnipeg Empty Net Goal - Blake Wheeler (6), at 19:09.
Jets 5, Rangers 2 3rd - 0:51Dec 2 9:31 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Olli Jokinen, at 18:06.
Jets 4, Rangers 2 3rd - 1:54Dec 2 9:29 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Olli Jokinen (5), from Chris Thorburn and Devin Setoguchi at 12:42.
Jets 3, Rangers 2 3rd - 7:18Dec 2 9:23 PM
- WINNIPEG: 2
NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 2 8:43 PM
- James Wright snap shot is wide.
Jets 2, Rangers 2 2nd - 2:33Dec 2 8:37 PM
- Ryan Callahan shot blocked by Grant Clitsome.
Jets 2, Rangers 1 2nd - 4:11Dec 2 8:35 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Ryan Callahan (7), at 15:50.
Jets 2, Rangers 2 2nd - 4:10Dec 2 8:34 PM
- Michael Del Zotto snap shot on Ondrej Pavelec.
Jets 2, Rangers 1 2nd - 9:15Dec 2 8:24 PM
- John Albert shot on Cam Talbot.
Jets 1, Rangers 1 2nd - 10:00Dec 2 8:21 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - John Albert, at 10:00.
Jets 2, Rangers 1 2nd - 10:00Dec 2 8:21 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Devin Setoguchi (7), at 8:16.
Jets 1, Rangers 1 2nd - 11:44Dec 2 8:19 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Dec 2 7:46 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Mats Zuccarello (4), at 2:49.
Jets 0, Rangers 1 1st - 17:11Dec 2 7:14 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 2 7:10 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Apr 24
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 23