Rangers hold on to beat LightningDec 30, 2013 - 5:23 AM
Rick Nash, Chris Kreider and Benoit Pouliot also scored and Henrik Lundqvist made 37 saves for the Rangers, who went 3-for-3 on the power play.
"The guys moved the puck real well and when they had the opportunity to throw it at the net they did and good things usually happen," said Rangers coach Alain Vigneault about his team's power play.
"It was obviously a difference-maker tonight."
Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat and Valtteri Filppula scored for the Lightning, who have lost two straight on the heels of a five-game winning streak. Martin St. Louis had a four-game goal streak snapped for Tampa Bay and Anders Lindback allowed four goals on 29 shots.
"We gotta get back to pushing the pace and keeping the puck moving forward," said St. Louis. "It just seems like we've lost a little bit of our game."
The Rangers are 1-1 on a five-game road trip following a franchise-record nine-game homestand. They bounced back from a loss at Washington on Friday by rallying from an early deficit.
Derek Stepan fed Nash for a goal 4:30 into the game after a Tampa Bay turnover but the Lightning scored two straight for the lead.
Johnson netted a power play goal at 10:41 and Palat beat Lundqvist on a long rebound 5:24 later.
Zuccarello tied the game for New York on the power play with 1:35 left in the first period when he sent the puck toward the crease from the low right side and it was deflected.
Zuccarello assisted Kreider's go-ahead goal on a power play 4:35 into the second period, skating through the Tampa Bay zone before finding his teammate near the left circle.
Pouliot scored on the man advantage 7:51 into the period after a tic-tac-toe play with teammates Derick Brassard and Zuccarello.
Filppula scored Tampa Bay's last goal with 11:46 left but the Rangers held on.
The Rangers continue their road trip Tuesday at Florida ... The Lightning start a four-game road trip Wednesday at Vancouver.
- NEW YORK: 4
TAMPA BAY: 3
Dec 29 9:37 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Valtteri Filppula, from Teddy Purcell at 8:14.
Rangers 4, Lightning 3 3rd - 11:46Dec 29 9:13 PM
- NEW YORK: 4
TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 29 8:43 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Benoit Pouliot (7), from Derick Brassard and Mats Zuccarello at 7:51.
Rangers 4, Lightning 2 2nd - 12:09Dec 29 8:22 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Chris Kreider (10), at 4:35.
Rangers 3, Lightning 2 2nd - 15:25Dec 29 8:17 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 1st
Dec 29 7:50 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Benoit Pouliot (7), at 18:25.
Rangers 2, Lightning 2 1st - 1:35Dec 29 7:47 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ondrej Palat (6), from Radko Gudas and Tyler Johnson at 16:05.
Rangers 1, Lightning 2 1st - 3:55Dec 29 7:41 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Tyler Johnson (10), from Teddy Purcell and Valtteri Filppula at 10:41.
Rangers 1, Lightning 1 1st - 9:19Dec 29 7:28 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Rick Nash, at 4:30.
Rangers 1, Lightning 0 1st - 15:30Dec 29 7:16 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 29 7:09 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17