Flyers slip past JetsNov 29, 2013 - 8:49 PM Philadelphia, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - Scott Hartnell and Sean Couturier scored for the Philadelphia Flyers in a 2-1 victory over the Winnipeg Jets on Friday.
Steve Mason stopped 25-of-26 shots for the Flyers, who snapped a two-game skid.
Michael Frolik scored the lone goal for the Jets, who had a brief two-game winning streak snapped. Ondrej Pavelec turned aside 32-of-34 shots.
Winnipeg, which went 0-for-6 on the power play, saw forward Evander Kane suffer a lower-body injury in the first period.
Hartnell lit the lamp just 48 seconds into the game. Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien tried to clear the puck around the boards and out of the zone, but the disc deflected off the skate of Blake Wheeler. The puck went to Hartnell in the slot for an easy goal.
After failing to score on a 5-on-3 power play early in the middle stanza, Philadelphia got a short-handed goal from Couturier. He stole the puck at his own blue line, skated in on a breakaway and beat Pavelec with a backhander at the 5:36 mark.
Mason made 12 saves in the second frame to preserve Philadelphia's 2-0 lead.
"We wanted to have a good start," Couturier said. "The last few games we didn't have a good first period, so we just wanted to put pucks deep, keep it simple, and get a good forecheck going early in the game. We did a good job."
Frolik got the Jets on the board at the 12:53 mark of the third period. A scramble for a loose puck in front of Mason ended with Frolik finding the back of the net.
"It was a scramble," Frolik said. "I think [Mark] Scheifele was bottom of the puck there with his feet and it was kind of like a bounce but I found the puck and tried to shoot it right away. And it went in."
Mason was strong in net the rest of the way, making a total of 11 saves in the final stanza.
Winnipeg had won two straight against the Flyers ... Philadelphia forward Matt Read returned to the lineup after missing one game with a lower-body injury ... The Flyers went 0-for-4 on the power play ... Philadelphia has won five in a row at home.
- WINNIPEG: 1
Nov 29 2:03 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Michael Frolik (7), at 12:53.
Jets 1, Flyers 2 3rd - 7:07Nov 29 1:48 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
End of 2nd
Nov 29 1:06 PM
- Philadelphia Short-Handed Goal - Sean Couturier (2), at 5:36.
Jets 0, Flyers 2 2nd - 14:24Nov 29 12:42 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
End of 1st
Nov 29 12:15 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Scott Hartnell (5), at :48.
Jets 0, Flyers 1 1st - 19:12Nov 29 11:40 AM
- WINNIPEG: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 29 11:38 AM
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23