Strong third period lifts Flyers past CoyotesJan 5, 2014 - 6:29 AM
Scott Hartnell and Brayden Schenn also scored for the Flyers, who improved to 4-1 on their six-game holiday road trip. Steve Mason came up with 26 saves.
"In the beginning of the season we would just fold but right now we believe in ourselves and that we can come back from any deficit," said Voracek. "This is a tough building and a tough team, so this is big for us."
Rob Klinkhammer, Lauri Korpikoski and Mikkel Boedker tallied for the Coyotes, who have dropped eight of their last 10 and failed to be lifted by the return of captain Shane Doan. Doan had been sidelined for a month while battling Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
Mike Smith gave up four goals on 27 shots.
Simmonds converted a Voracek rebound from the right side on a Philadelphia power play to draw the visitors even at 4:22 of the third.
Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle then committed a turnover deep in his own zone, trying to stickhandle up the middle and Voracek made him pay. He turned back and unleashed a shot from the right circle which trickled through Smith at 11:52 of the third and the Flyers had their first lead of the game at 4-3.
"When you make mistakes and your goaltender is not cleaning them up, you end up where we're at," said Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett.
Steve Downie was given a questionable delay-of-game call for closing his hand on the puck with 3:29 remaining, but Mason and his penalty killers checked it away. Philly has killed off 12 consecutive manpower disadvantages in the last four games.
Giroux drilled the clincher into the empty net with 31 seconds to play.
Klinkhammer put the hosts on the board at the 1:29 mark of the second period, then Korpikoski put a rebound past Mason at the right post at 2:54.
Hartnell's one-timer from the right circle off a Mark Streit dish halved Philly's deficit at 3:11.
Phoenix went up 3-1 when Yandle sprung Boedker on a break up the middle, and his shot beat Mason high and over the blocker with 6:47 played.
Despite failing on the next power-play chance, the Flyers made it 3-2 when Schenn popped a loose puck home at the right post at 17:15.
Philadelphia improved to 7-5-0 all-time at Phoenix ... Smith fell to 4-7-1 lifetime against the Flyers and 0-3 with the Coyotes ... Phoenix played without defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who is suffering from an upper-body injury as a result of a high hit from Columbus' Derek MacKenzie on Thursday .. The Flyers complete their road trip at New Jersey on Tuesday.
- PHILADELPHIA: 5
Jan 4 10:33 PM
- Philadelphia Empty Net Goal - Claude Giroux (12), at 19:29.
Flyers 5, Coyotes 3 3rd - 0:31Jan 4 10:33 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Jakub Voracek (10), at 11:52.
Flyers 4, Coyotes 3 3rd - 8:08Jan 4 10:20 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Wayne Simmonds (14), at 4:22.
Flyers 3, Coyotes 3 3rd - 15:38Jan 4 10:06 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 4 9:40 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
2nd Period - 2:45
Flyers 2, Coyotes 3 2nd - 2:45Jan 4 9:35 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Mikkel Boedker (12), at 6:47.
Flyers 1, Coyotes 3 2nd - 13:13Jan 4 9:15 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Scott Hartnell (9), at 3:11.
Flyers 1, Coyotes 2 2nd - 16:49Jan 4 9:08 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Lauri Korpikoski (5), from Connor Murphy and Martin Hanzal at 2:54.
Flyers 0, Coyotes 2 2nd - 17:06Jan 4 9:07 PM
- Mike Ribeiro backhand shot is wide.
Flyers 0, Coyotes 1 2nd - 17:38Jan 4 9:05 PM
- Antoine Vermette wrap-around shot on Steve Mason.
Flyers 0, Coyotes 0 2nd - 18:33Jan 4 9:04 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Rob Klinkhammer (8), at 1:29.
Flyers 0, Coyotes 1 2nd - 18:31Jan 4 9:03 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
End of 1st
Jan 4 8:42 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 4 8:08 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24