Pavelski nets hat trick as Sharks crush FlyersFeb 28, 2014 - 5:29 AM
Raffi Torres added a pair of goals and Logan Couture also lit the lamp twice for the Sharks, winners in three straight. Alex Stalock made 27 saves in the win.
Brayden Schenn, Andrej Meszaros and Matt Read scored one goal apiece for the Flyers, who had won four straight entering the break. Ray Emery allowed three goals on 14 shots and Steve Mason gave up four goals on 16 shots before being pulled.
The Sharks trailed 2-1 entering the second period but scored five goals in the frame led by Pavelski, who completed his hat trick in the middle sessions.
"The break between periods I think did us well. We talked about a few things. We got to stop and think about what we were doing and not doing. We didn't have a lot of purpose in our game in the first period, especially in their zone," said Sharks coach Todd McLellan.
On the power play, Pavelski wristed one past Mason just 4:23 in to tie things up at 2-2.
Nearly six minutes later Pavelski tipped-in a Marc Edouard Vlasic shot for his second tally, and Couture scored at 10:47 to make it a 4-2 game.
Pavelski's third marker came with 6:50 to go, and Torres scored with three seconds left in the period for a 6-2 spread.
"We got beat in front of our own net. They socred all their goals from 10 feet from the crease. We have to be a lot better in that area in order to have more success," Mason said.
Couture's second goal of the night, a shorthanded marker, put the Sharks up 7-2 and Read accounted for the final difference at the 12:12 mark of the third.
Torres scored his first goal of the game 4:25 into the contest with a wrister, but the Flyers answered with two goals 22 seconds apart.
At 10:36, Meszaros beat Stalock with a wrister before Schenn found the back of the net at 10:58.
Pavelski set a career-high for goals with 32 ... The Sharks will visit Buffalo on Friday ... Both teams took 30 shots ... Flyers will host the Rangers on Saturday.
- SAN JOSE: 7
Feb 27 9:48 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Matt Read (16), from Sean Couturier and Nicklas Grossmann at 12:12.
Sharks 7, Flyers 3 3rd - 7:48Feb 27 9:33 PM
- San Jose Short-Handed Goal - Logan Couture (16), from Tommy Wingels at 4:50.
Sharks 7, Flyers 2 3rd - 15:10Feb 27 9:14 PM
- SAN JOSE: 6
End of 2nd
Feb 27 8:49 PM
- San Jose Goal - Raffi Torres, at 19:57.
Sharks 6, Flyers 2 2nd - 0:03Feb 27 8:47 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski (32), at 14:10.
Sharks 5, Flyers 2 2nd - 5:50Feb 27 8:37 PM
- San Jose Goal - Logan Couture, at 10:47.
Sharks 4, Flyers 2 2nd - 9:13Feb 27 8:29 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski, at 10:12.
Sharks 3, Flyers 2 2nd - 9:48Feb 27 8:24 PM
- Adam Burish snap shot on Steve Mason.
Sharks 2, Flyers 2 2nd - 14:37Feb 27 8:16 PM
- Philadelphia Short-Handed Goal - Nicklas Grossmann, at 4:23.
Sharks 1, Flyers 3 2nd - 15:37Feb 27 8:14 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Feb 27 7:48 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Wayne Simmonds, at 10:58.
Sharks 1, Flyers 2 1st - 9:02Feb 27 7:30 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Andrej Meszaros (5), from Steve Downie at 10:36.
Sharks 1, Flyers 1 1st - 9:24Feb 27 7:29 PM
- San Jose Goal - Raffi Torres, at 4:25.
Sharks 1, Flyers 0 1st - 15:35Feb 27 7:18 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 27 7:08 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18