Maple Leafs clip Flyers in overtimeMar 9, 2014 - 7:14 AM Toronto, ON (SportsNetwork.com) - Joffrey Lupul scored the game-winning goal as the Toronto Maple Leafs defeated the Philadelphia Flyers in overtime, 4-3, at Air Canada Centre.
Carl Gunnarsson worked the puck from the point down low to Dion Phaneuf. He took the puck and dished it past Nicklas Grossmann over to Lupul at the other side of the net and he beat a sliding Steve Mason for the game-winner.
Mason Raymond, Nazem Kadri, and Jake Gardiner also lit the lamp in the win. Troy Bodie supplied two helpers and Jonathan Bernier made 28 stops in Toronto's second straight overtime win.
"We don't want to make a habit of blowing third period leads, but things are going to happen and other teams are going to make plays," said Lupul. "We stuck with it and there was a good feeling on our bench going into overtime."
Kimmo Timonen scored twice and Braydon Coburn tallied a late third-period goal to send the game into overtime. Jakub Voracek had two assists and Mason made 32 saves for the Flyers, who won three straight entering the contest.
"We left a point on the board I think," said Coburn. "It's just too bad that we couldn't close it out."
Toronto got on the board first. Gardiner took a failed Flyers clear attempt and wristed a shot through a maze of players from the left circle to give the Leafs a 1-0 lead 2:21 into the opening frame.
Kadri added to the lead just over a minute later. Lupul moved up the right side on the rush to dish a pass over to Kadri in the slot. Kadri took the puck and fired a quick wrister to put Toronto up by two.
Early in the second, Matt Read chipped away at the puck and after several attempts got it in the net. The goal was quickly waved off after the officials ruled Bernier had it covered.
Timonen cut the deficit in half with 1:58 remaining in the second. Voracek brought the puck into the Toronto zone off the rush and sent a cross-ice pass to Timonen. The defenseman took the puck and wristed home a shot from the left circle.
Voracek battled with Phaneuf along the boards behind the net. He emerged with the puck and found Timonen, who backhanded a shot past the glove of Bernier to tie the game 7:19 into the final frame.
Raymond broke the tie with 6:26 left in the third. After Bodie's shot hit the post, Jay McClement took the rebound and slid a pass over to Raymond, whose shot eventually trickled over the line.
Moments after Timonen's hat trick bid rang off the iron, Coburn's shot found twine. Brayden Schenn worked the puck to Coburn at the point and Cobrun ripped a shot past a screened Bernier with 2:32 remaining.
Phaneuf's assist was his 100th as a Maple Leaf ... Timonen's goal was his first career marker against the Maple Leafs ... Flyers forward Steve Downie was a late scratch due to the flu ... The Maple Leafs are 0-for-20 on the power play across their last nine games.
- PHILADELPHIA: 3
Final - OT
Mar 8 10:55 PM
- Toronto Goal - Joffrey Lupul (19), from Dion Phaneuf and Carl Gunnarsson at 2:21.
Flyers 3, Maple Leafs 4 OT - 2:39Mar 8 10:55 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 3
End of Regulation
Mar 8 10:49 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Braydon Coburn (5), from Brayden Schenn and Michael Raffl at 17:28.
Flyers 3, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 2:32Mar 8 10:47 PM
- Toronto Goal - Troy Bodie (3), at 13:34.
Flyers 2, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 6:26Mar 8 10:38 PM
- Troy Bodie wrist shot on Steve Mason.
Flyers 2, Maple Leafs 2 3rd - 6:30Mar 8 10:38 PM
- Scott Hartnell shot blocked by Carl Gunnarsson.
Flyers 1, Maple Leafs 2 3rd - 14:12Mar 8 10:37 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Claude Giroux (24), at 7:19.
Flyers 2, Maple Leafs 2 3rd - 12:41Mar 8 10:25 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 8 8:53 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Kimmo Timonen (3), at 18:02.
Flyers 1, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 1:58Mar 8 8:50 PM
- Jakub Voracek shot blocked by Carl Gunnarsson.
Flyers 0, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 16:11Mar 8 8:19 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Matt Read, at 2:56.
Flyers 1, Maple Leafs 2 2nd - 17:04Mar 8 8:16 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
End of 1st
Mar 8 7:53 PM
- Toronto Goal - Nazem Kadri (17), from Joffrey Lupul at 3:38.
Flyers 0, Maple Leafs 2 1st - 16:22Mar 8 7:24 PM
- Toronto Goal - Jake Gardiner (6), from Troy Bodie at 2:21.
Flyers 0, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 17:39Mar 8 7:22 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 8 7:14 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24