Hanzal, Coyotes down LightningNov 17, 2013 - 6:23 AM
Shane Doan, Michael Stone, Mike Ribeiro and Lauri Korpikoski all scored, while Radim Vrbata added three helpers. Mike Smith stopped 27-of-30 shots for the Coyotes, who have won three of their last four.
"I got lucky it went through, and I think I almost broke my hand punching the ice. I was so excited," said Murphy on his goal.
J.T. Brown scored his first NHL goal, while Richard Panik and Alex Killorn both lit the lamp for the Lightning, who had won two straight games coming into the contest.
Ben Bishop allowed three goals on 14 shots and was pulled early in the second period. Anders Lindback turned aside 13-of-15 shots in relief.
"It was just one of those nights. They are not always going to be good nights and tonight wasn't good. It wasn't the way we wanted to play," said Bishop.
Stone opened up the scoring with a power-play goal. After a cross-ice pass from Ribeiro, Stone fired a shot from the point past Bishop with 4:02 remaining in the first period.
Less than a minute later, Hanzal threw a shot from behind the net off Bishop's pads and into the net.
Phoenix struck quickly in the second after Killorn took a slashing penalty to end the first. Ribeiro tipped in a bouncing puck in the crease to give Phoenix a 3-0 lead less than two minutes into the second.
Tampa Bay got on the board when Panik scored his first of the season on a wrister with four minutes to go in the second, but less than a minute later, Murphy stepped up and launched a shot from the point to give the Coyotes a 4-1 lead.
Fifty seconds later, Brown wristed a shot from the right circle for his first career goal.
Doan beat Lindback 1:37 into the third and Korpikoski scored on the empty net to account for the final score.
Tampa Bay only had four shots in the first period ... The Coyotes are 9-0-1 at home ... Phoenix went 2-for-3 on the power play.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
Nov 16 10:36 PM
- Phoenix Empty Net Goal - Lauri Korpikoski (4), from Martin Hanzal at 19:41.
Lightning 3, Coyotes 6 3rd - 0:19Nov 16 10:36 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (9), from Andrej Sustr at 18:58.
Lightning 3, Coyotes 5 3rd - 1:02Nov 16 10:33 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Shane Doan (10), from Martin Hanzal and Radim Vrbata at 1:37.
Lightning 2, Coyotes 5 3rd - 18:23Nov 16 9:56 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Nov 16 9:36 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - J.T. Brown, at 17:55.
Lightning 2, Coyotes 4 2nd - 2:05Nov 16 9:34 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Connor Murphy, at 17:05.
Lightning 1, Coyotes 4 2nd - 2:55Nov 16 9:32 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Richard Panik, at 16:19.
Lightning 1, Coyotes 3 2nd - 3:41Nov 16 9:30 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Mike Ribeiro (6), at 1:48.
Lightning 0, Coyotes 3 2nd - 18:12Nov 16 9:08 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Nov 16 8:42 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Martin Hanzal (6), at 16:55.
Lightning 0, Coyotes 2 1st - 3:05Nov 16 8:37 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Michael Stone (6), at 15:58.
Lightning 0, Coyotes 1 1st - 4:02Nov 16 8:36 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 16 8:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17