Bieksa's OT strike upstages Vermette hat trickJan 27, 2014 - 4:41 AM
The hosts failed to convert on a power play awarded when Phoenix defenseman Derek Morris was sent off for cross checking with 11 seconds left in regulation. Shortly after the advantage expired, Bieksa followed up a Brad Richardson shot from the left wing and popped the rebound under the crossbar and in for the winner.
"We found a way to win, but we have to do a better job of being consistent," Bieksa noted.
Chris Higgins posted three points on a goal and two assists, and Zac Dalpe added a score and a helper for the Canucks, who have won three of their last four.
Jannik Hansen also lit the lamp, while Roberto Luongo came up with 29 saves.
Antoine Vermette hit the back of the net three times for the Coyotes, who stumbled to their seventh loss in 10 contests. Shane Doan scored and David Moss contributed two assists.
Mike Smith allowed all five goals on just 20 shots in the setback.
"We played well enough to get two (points) tonight, but in the NHL you can't give up 5 goals and expect to win," stated Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett.
Bieksa and Hansen tallied in a 44-second span just after the midway point of the first period. The former scored on a floater from the left-wing boards, and the latter on a one-timer off a 3-on-2 break.
Vermette answered for the visitors only 18 seconds later and the visitors went to intermission down 2-1.
Kyle Chipchura appeared to have tied the game early in the second, but the goal was waved off on the ice, and then a replay revealed the puck was directed in with his skate.
Phoenix did tie the score when Vermette followed his own shot and fluttered one over a fallen Luongo for a short-handed tally with 9:07 played in the frame.
Higgins and Dalpe beat Smith in a 42-second span late in the period, but Vermette capped his trifecta on a power-play strike that resulted from a Doan dish atop the crease inside of a minute left.
"We've been talking about bounces lately. Hopefully it's a sign things are going to turn around," Vermette added.
Doan evened the score while skating in alone, scoring on a shot through Luongo's pads despite losing control of the puck at 5:24 of the third.
"It was a strange game. Bizarre. We were fortunate to get two points," said Canucks interim head coach Mike Sullivan.
Both of the Canucks' wins over the Coyotes this season have occurred in overtime, with Sunday's triumph following as 3-2 decision in OT on Dec. 6 ... Vermette picked up his third career hat trick and second this season, after scoring three times in a 4-3 win over Ottawa on Dec. 21.
- PHOENIX: 4
Final - OT
Jan 26 10:41 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Kevin Bieksa (4), from Brad Richardson at 2:15.
Coyotes 4, Canucks 5 OT - 2:45Jan 26 10:41 PM
- PHOENIX: 4
End of Regulation
Jan 26 10:35 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Shane Doan (15), from Mike Ribeiro and David Moss at 5:24.
Coyotes 4, Canucks 4 3rd - 14:36Jan 26 10:05 PM
- PHOENIX: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 26 9:39 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Antoine Vermette (18), at 19:05.
Coyotes 3, Canucks 4 2nd - 0:55Jan 26 9:37 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Zac Dalpe (3), at 17:41.
Coyotes 2, Canucks 4 2nd - 2:19Jan 26 9:35 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Chris Higgins (14), at 16:59.
Coyotes 2, Canucks 3 2nd - 3:01Jan 26 9:33 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Antoine Vermette, at 9:07.
Coyotes 2, Canucks 2 2nd - 10:53Jan 26 9:20 PM
- PHOENIX: 1
End of 1st
Jan 26 8:44 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Antoine Vermette (16), at 11:33.
Coyotes 1, Canucks 2 1st - 8:27Jan 26 8:30 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Jannik Hansen, from Ryan Kesler at 11:15.
Coyotes 0, Canucks 2 1st - 8:45Jan 26 8:29 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Kevin Bieksa (3), at 10:31.
Coyotes 0, Canucks 1 1st - 9:29Jan 26 8:25 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Period - 18:53
Jan 26 8:11 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- Hockey sticks no longer one size fits all Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Phoenix mayor wants shared arena for Suns, Coyotes Apr 19
- Coyotes to buy Springfield Falcons, move AHL club to Tucson Apr 19
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Arizona Coyotes fire GM Don Maloney Apr 11