Niskanen scores late as Penguins deny LightningOct 13, 2013 - 5:32 AM
Skating on the advantage after Richard Panik was whistled for tripping, Pittsburgh set up in the Tampa end and Evgeni Malkin held the puck at the right circle. Malkin sent a saucer pass through a seam to the left point where Niskanen one-timed it past Lindback for the advantage.
"We had to battle through some sloppy play but we did a good job battling back all night," Niskanen said. "We got lucky with them taking a silly penalty late in the game and we scored."
Tampa was unable to muster any chances as the Penguins won for a fourth time in five games to start the season.
Sidney Crosby had his eighth career hat trick along with an assist, while Brooks Orpik scored for Pittsburgh, which got just 14 stops from Marc-Andre Fleury.
Teddy Purcell, Alex Killorn, Valtteri Filppula and Steven Stamkos all scored for the Lightning, who had a three-game win streak snapped. Anders Lindback gave up all five goals on 26 shots in the loss.
"I think that was an even hockey game," Tampa Bay coach Jon Cooper said. "They got that last break at the end and capitalized on it."
Trailing by a goal entering the third, the Penguins tied the game on Crosby's second of the game as a left point shot by Rob Scuderi was tipped in by Crosby at the right side just 25 seconds in.
Skating on the power play, the Pens saw Malkin use a touch pass from the right boards to get the puck to Jussi Jokinen, who tapped it back from the right circle to Crosby for a wrister and a 4-3 lead with 9:34 to play.
Tampa, though, tied the game again on the power play as Killorn's one-timer from the low left side off a hard pass from Panik found the back of the net with 3:02 left.
The only goal of the first period went to Tampa Bay as a left circle faceoff win in the Pittsburgh end saw the team work crisp passing to get the puck to Filppula, who beat Fleury with a one-timer at 13:25.
Pittsburgh tied the game 2:14 into the second quarter as Jokinen's one-timer from the left circle was stopped, but Crosby was on the doorstep to bang in the rebound.
The Lightning answered three minutes later. Victor Hedman brought the puck into the right point and left a drop pass for Stamkos, who passed the puck over to the left where Martin St. Louis sent it back to Stamkos for a shot past Fleury for a 2-1 lead.
Just two minutes later, though, Pittsburgh got a goal from Orpik, but the Lightning took a 3-2 lead into the final period on Purcell's power-play goal at 15:42.
Pittsburgh hosts Edmonton on Tuesday ... Tampa hosts Los Angeles on Tuesday ... Pittsburgh won all three matchups with Tampa last season and has now won seven in a row ... Pittsburgh was 3-for-5 on the power play, while Tampa was 2-for-5.
- PITTSBURGH: 5
TAMPA BAY: 4
Oct 12 9:48 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Matt Niskanen, at 19:41.
Penguins 5, Lightning 4 3rd - 0:19Oct 12 9:47 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Alex Killorn, from Richard Panik at 16:58.
Penguins 4, Lightning 4 3rd - 3:02Oct 12 9:39 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Sidney Crosby (5), from Jussi Jokinen and Evgeni Malkin at 10:26.
Penguins 4, Lightning 3 3rd - 9:34Oct 12 9:24 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Sidney Crosby (4), from Rob Scuderi and Matt Niskanen at :25.
Penguins 3, Lightning 3 3rd - 19:35Oct 12 9:07 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
TAMPA BAY: 3
End of 2nd
Oct 12 8:47 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Ryan Malone, at 15:42.
Penguins 2, Lightning 3 2nd - 4:18Oct 12 8:41 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Brooks Orpik, from Pascal Dupuis at 7:01.
Penguins 2, Lightning 2 2nd - 12:59Oct 12 8:25 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (4), from Martin St. Louis and Victor Hedman at 5:11.
Penguins 1, Lightning 2 2nd - 14:49Oct 12 8:19 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Sidney Crosby (3), from Jussi Jokinen at 2:14.
Penguins 1, Lightning 1 2nd - 17:46Oct 12 8:16 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Oct 12 7:54 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Valtteri Filppula (4), at 13:25.
Penguins 0, Lightning 1 1st - 6:35Oct 12 7:37 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 12 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17