Malkin gets winner as Pens slip by Canucks in SOOct 19, 2013 - 10:23 PM
Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz each had a goal and two assists for the Penguins, who have won four in a row to improve to 7-1-0 on the young season. Olli Maatta also lit the lamp, recording his first NHL goal.
Marc-Andre Fleury kept his perfect record intact by stopping 36-of-39 shots.
"Today wasn't our best game, but [Fleury] shut the door when we needed him to and we found some ways to get back in the game and get a big goal from [Malkin] in the shootout," Crosby said.
Zack Kassian, Brad Richardson and Alexander Edler scored for the Canucks, who had a brief two-game winning streak snapped. Roberto Luongo turned aside 25- of-28 shots.
"For half the game, I thought we played great," Canucks captain Henrik Sedin said. "The second half, I thought we gave up a little too many scoring chances. They came out on 3-on-2s, 2-on-1s a few times and [Luongo] made some big saves for us.
"But for half the game we were all over them."
The Canucks drew first blood at the 13:49 mark of the first period on a goal whose memory the host netminder will want to erase. Edler, in his first game back from serving a suspension, shot from center ice and the puck bounced off Fleury's chest before crossing the goal line.
Less than two minutes later, Crosby put home his own rebound to tie the game. Pascal Dupuis' shot from the top of the left circle resulted in a rebound for Crosby, who scored on his second try.
Kunitz's power-play goal at the 7:56 mark of the middle stanza gave Pittsburgh a 2-1 lead. Malkin controlled the puck behind the net before finding the two- time Cup winner in front.
The back-and-forth battle continued when Richardson lit the lamp at the 12:44 mark. He received a pass from Dale Weise and beat a sprawling Fleury, making it a 2-2 contest.
The Canucks went back in front when Kassian tipped in Kevin Bieksa's shot at the 12:50 mark of the third stanza.
Just 22 seconds later, Maatta found the back of the net to make it 3-3. The rookie Finn put home a rebound off Kunitz's shot from the left circle for the milestone marker.
The home team had a great chance to break the tie when Canucks defenseman Chris Tanev tripped up Brandon Sutter on a breakaway with 1:24 left. However, Sutter failed to beat Luongo on the ensuing penalty shot.
Crosby's goal in the first period extended his point streak to eight games, extending his career-long streak to start a season ... Vancouver is back in action Sunday at Columbus, while Pittsburgh hosts Colorado on Monday.
- KingHockeyMan The PPenquins are a finicky team. The BBruins blew them away in the playoffs in 4 str8 games. They need discipline Dmen to complete their team. Also they need wingmen to get in front & stop nibbling the easy way. The Pens will not go too deep in the playoffs if they keep their timid ways. ...PEACE!
Canucks 3, Penguins 4 Final - 2OTOct 20 2:35 PM
- VANCOUVER: 3
Final - 2OT
Oct 19 3:48 PM
- VANCOUVER: 3
End of OT
Oct 19 3:40 PM
- VANCOUVER: 3
End of Regulation
Oct 19 3:33 PM
- VANCOUVER: 3
3rd Period - 6:48
Canucks 3, Penguins 3 3rd - 6:48Oct 19 3:16 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Zack Kassian, at 12:50.
Canucks 3, Penguins 2 3rd - 7:10Oct 19 3:16 PM
- VANCOUVER: 2
End of 2nd
Oct 19 2:37 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Brad Richardson (3), at 12:44.
Canucks 2, Penguins 2 2nd - 7:16Oct 19 2:24 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Chris Kunitz (4), at 7:56.
Canucks 1, Penguins 2 2nd - 12:04Oct 19 2:14 PM
- VANCOUVER: 1
End of 1st
Oct 19 1:42 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Sidney Crosby (7), at 15:44.
Canucks 1, Penguins 1 1st - 4:16Oct 19 1:35 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Alexander Edler (2), at 13:49.
Canucks 1, Penguins 0 1st - 6:11Oct 19 1:31 PM
- VANCOUVER: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 19 1:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17