Burns scores twice as Sharks top PenguinsMar 7, 2014 - 7:53 AM
Joe Pavelski assisted on three San Jose goals and Antti Niemi stopped 19 Pittsburgh shots.
Rookie Olli Maatta had two goals for the Penguins, who are winless in their last 11 trips to San Jose (0-9-1 with a tie) since a 5-2 victory on Oct. 22, 1997.
Pittsburgh backup Jeff Zatkoff was tested often by the Sharks and finished with 42 saves on 46 shots.
However, Zatkoff fanned with the glove on Joe Thornton's tiebreaking goal. Thornton let a rather innocuous looking wrister go from just inside the blue line at the left point that eluded the netminder with 5:39 remaining.
Burns added an empty-netter in the waning seconds.
"We got physical and that just totally turned the game," Thornton said.
The Penguins jumped out to a 2-0 lead as Maatta and Chris Kunitz scored 1:12 apart in the first period.
San Jose got on the board late in the second period courtsey of Justin Braun's shot finding its way past a screened Zatkoff, but Pittsburgh had a chance to increase its lead on a four-minute power play early in the third period.
Instead, the Sharks pulled even as Patrick Marleau stickhandled around Evgeni Malkin and beat Zatkoff with a backhander for a short-handed goal at the 5:18 mark.
Maatta, however, scored 21 seconds later with the Penguins still on the man advantage.
Burns then tied things up at 6:52. Pavelski grabbed a loose puck in the right corner after board work by Thornton and dished out front to Burns, whose one- timer from the slot found the back of the net.
"We did a good job in the first half of the game and then made it easy for them in the second half of the game," Penguins captain Sidney Crosby said.
The Sharks improved to 4-1-1 in a stretch that sees them play 12 consecutive games against Eastern Conference teams ... Pittsburgh dropped to 1-2-0 on its five-game road trip and has lost four of five overall.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
SAN JOSE: 5
Mar 7 1:09 AM
- San Jose Goal - Brent Burns, at 19:57.
Penguins 3, Sharks 5 3rd - 0:03Mar 7 1:09 AM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Thornton (9), from Joe Pavelski at 14:21.
Penguins 3, Sharks 4 3rd - 5:39Mar 7 1:02 AM
- San Jose Goal - Brent Burns (16), at 6:52.
Penguins 3, Sharks 3 3rd - 13:08Mar 7 12:44 AM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Olli Maatta (9), from Brandon Sutter at 5:39.
Penguins 3, Sharks 2 3rd - 14:21Mar 7 12:42 AM
- San Jose Short-Handed Goal - Patrick Marleau (26), from Jason Demers at 5:18.
Penguins 2, Sharks 2 3rd - 14:42Mar 7 12:42 AM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
SAN JOSE: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 7 12:18 AM
- San Jose Goal - Adam Burish, from Justin Braun and Tommy Wingels at 17:43.
Penguins 2, Sharks 1 2nd - 2:17Mar 7 12:10 AM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
SAN JOSE: 0
End of 1st
Mar 6 11:17 PM
- Pittsburgh Power-Play Goal - Chris Kunitz (29), at 16:21.
Penguins 2, Sharks 0 1st - 3:39Mar 6 11:11 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Olli Maatta (8), from Tanner Glass at 15:09.
Penguins 1, Sharks 0 1st - 4:51Mar 6 11:06 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 6 10:41 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21