St. Louis scores 4 but Bolts fall to SharksJan 19, 2014 - 1:12 AM
San Jose's Joe Pavelski had the final three goals, all coming in the second period. He scored 21 seconds apart before he was credited with a deflection with one minute remaining, giving him the first hat trick of his career.
"It was a sloppy game. A lot of turnovers that created a lot of skating up and down for no reason. It got better in the third, but after talking about it for two periods I hope it would have been better," said Sharks coach Todd McLellan.
St. Louis tied a Lightning record for most goals in a game set by Chris Kontos in the franchise's first-ever regular season game on Oct. 7, 1992 against visiting Chicago.
"I did appreciate it until we were down and the game was over. It is tough to really be happy about it. I'm glad I put myself in this position, but at the end of the day we lost the game," St. Louis said.
Patrick Marleau posted a goal and two assists for San Jose, which swept a three-game road trip against Eastern Conference opponents. Antti Niemi made 25 saves, including six in the third period to preserve the Sharks' one-goal lead.
Ben Bishop, Niemi's Tampa Bay counterpart, was beaten five times on 32 shots.
The Lightning have suffered one-goal losses in each of their last five games at Tampa Bay Times Forum and squandered a 4-2 lead in the latest setback.
Three consecutive tallies by St. Louis put Tampa Bay up 4-2. He matched Kontos with his second power-play goal 2:07 into the second. Positioned at the right faceoff dot, St. Louis one-timed home a crossing pass by Teddy Purcell.
Pavelski then stole the show.
On a delayed penalty, Tyler Kennedy fed Pavelski for a one-timer at 12:48. Tampa Bay's Eric Brewer went off for hooking 13 seconds later and Pavelski struck again eight seconds into the power play, sweeping in a rebound from his knees.
The Sharks grabbed the lead when Pavelski got his stick on Matt Irwin's wrist shot from the left point.
St. Louis' first goal, on a power play, erased a 1-0 deficit, built on Matt Nieto's goal 9:46 into the game. San Jose had not surrendered a power-play goal in its previous six games.
Marleau responded 56 seconds later to put the Sharks back on top at 12:52 of the first period, but Tampa Bay led 3-2 at the intermission.
Denied by Niemi on a breakaway, St. Louis backhanded in his own rebound at 15:44 and then got the hat trick off a scramble in front of the net with 29.7 seconds remaining in the opening frame.
St. Louis extended his point streak to seven games ... San Jose forward Brent Burns played in his 600th career NHL game ... Tampa Bay has scored a power- play goal in four straight games ... The Sharks beat Tampa Bay 5-1 at home on Nov. 21.
- SAN JOSE: 5
TAMPA BAY: 4
Jan 18 4:46 PM
- SAN JOSE: 5
TAMPA BAY: 4
End of 2nd
Jan 18 3:48 PM
- San Jose Goal - Matt Irwin (9), at 19:00.
Sharks 5, Lightning 4 2nd - 1:00Jan 18 3:46 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski, at 13:09.
Sharks 4, Lightning 4 2nd - 6:51Jan 18 3:33 PM
- SAN JOSE: 3
TAMPA BAY: 4
2nd Period - 6:51
Sharks 3, Lightning 4 2nd - 6:51Jan 18 3:33 PM
- Joe Pavelski shot on Ben Bishop.
Sharks 2, Lightning 4 2nd - 7:12Jan 18 3:30 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski (23), from Tyler Kennedy at 12:48.
Sharks 3, Lightning 4 2nd - 7:12Jan 18 3:30 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Martin St. Louis (25), at 2:07.
Sharks 2, Lightning 4 2nd - 17:53Jan 18 3:13 PM
- SAN JOSE: 2
TAMPA BAY: 3
End of 1st
Jan 18 2:52 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - J.T. Brown (5), at 19:30.
Sharks 2, Lightning 3 1st - 0:30Jan 18 2:48 PM
- Matt Carle shot blocked by Brad Stuart.
Sharks 2, Lightning 2 1st - 3:29Jan 18 2:44 PM
- Martin St. Louis wrist shot on Antti Niemi.
Sharks 2, Lightning 1 1st - 4:17Jan 18 2:42 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis, at 15:44.
Sharks 2, Lightning 2 1st - 4:16Jan 18 2:42 PM
- San Jose Goal - Patrick Marleau (21), from Matt Nieto at 12:52.
Sharks 2, Lightning 1 1st - 7:08Jan 18 2:36 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Martin St. Louis (22), at 11:56.
Sharks 1, Lightning 1 1st - 8:04Jan 18 2:32 PM
- Marc-Edouard Vlasic wrist shot on Ben Bishop.
Sharks 1, Lightning 0 1st - 10:00Jan 18 2:26 PM
- Radko Gudas shot blocked by Matt Nieto.
Sharks 0, Lightning 0 1st - 10:16Jan 18 2:26 PM
- San Jose Goal - Matt Nieto (4), at 9:46.
Sharks 1, Lightning 0 1st - 10:14Jan 18 2:26 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 18 2:09 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20