Lightning skate past CanucksJan 2, 2014 - 7:11 AM
Tyler Johnson and Nikita Kucherov each scored for the Lightning, who snapped a two-game slide. Ben Bishop stopped 28 shots in the win.
"We played a solid road game," Tampa Bay head coach Jon Cooper said. "We fell behind, found a way to get the lead and held on to it.
Brad Richardson and Zac Dalpe scored for the Canucks, who have lost their past two. Eddie Lack gave up all four goals on 33 shots.
"It was our worst game of the year," Vancouver head coach John Tortorella said. "We deserved to lose that one."
After a scoreless first period, the Canucks took a 1-0 lead at 11:25 of the second as Richardson's quick shot from the left circle beat Bishop to the short side.
Tampa Bay scored a pair of goals separated by 20 seconds to take the lead, with the first coming at 15:27 of the second.
Teddy Purcell sent a pass from the right wing to the left where Filppula gathered the puck and used the defender as a screen to beat Lack with a wrister.
Moments later it was a 2-1 game as Ondrej Palat skated down the left wing and got low before sending it over to the right where Johnson had an easy tap-in.
The Canucks tied the game just 14 seconds later, as a turnover in the Tampa end saw Dale Weise pick up the bouncing puck at the right circle and feed it to the front where Dalpe shot it in for his first of the season.
A late penalty call to Yannick Weber gave the Lightning a power play with 1:50 to play in the second, and the team took advantage for a 3-2 lead.
Matt Carle kept in a clear at the left point, and the puck eventually found its way to the right circle where Kucherov blasted a slap shot into the net with 2.6 seconds to play.
The Lightning gave themselves some room at 7:28 of the third as Victor Hedman's blast from the left point was deflected in by Killorn for a 4-2 advantage.
Tampa Bay plays in Calgary on Friday ... Vancouver hits the road for games in Los Angeles and Anaheim on Saturday and Sunday ... The Lightning have taken three of the last four against the Canucks ... The Lightning were 1-for-3 on the power play, while the Canucks went 0-for-2.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
Jan 2 12:37 AM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Alex Killorn, from Victor Hedman and Valtteri Filppula at 7:28.
Lightning 4, Canucks 2 3rd - 12:32Jan 2 12:12 AM
- TAMPA BAY: 3
End of 2nd
Jan 1 11:40 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Nikita Kucherov, from Radko Gudas and Matt Carle at 19:57.
Lightning 3, Canucks 2 2nd - 0:03Jan 1 11:40 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Zac Dalpe, at 16:01.
Lightning 2, Canucks 2 2nd - 3:59Jan 1 11:32 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Tyler Johnson (11), at 15:47.
Lightning 2, Canucks 1 2nd - 4:13Jan 1 11:31 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Valtteri Filppula, at 15:27.
Lightning 1, Canucks 1 2nd - 4:33Jan 1 11:29 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Brad Richardson (8), at 11:25.
Lightning 0, Canucks 1 2nd - 8:35Jan 1 11:22 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Jan 1 10:44 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 1 10:11 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17