Schelotto's late tally helps Crew draw with DynamoMar 22, 2009 - 2:32 AM HOUSTON (AP) -- Guillermo Barros Schelotto scored in the 81st minute to give the defending MLS champion Columbus Crew a 1-1 season-opening tie against the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night.
A matchup of the last three MLS Cup winners was scoreless early in the second half when Houston's Brian Ching took a lead pass from Chris Wondolowski and scored from just outside the upper box.
The Dynamo won back-to-back MLS titles in 2006-07.
The Crew tied the game when Jason Garey settled a loose ball with a header and Schelotto fired it just inside the left post.
Columbus goalie William Hesmer and Houston's Pat Onstad had four saves apiece.
HOUSTON 1 FINAL
Mar 21 10:02 PM
- MLS UPDATE
COLUMBUS GOAL: Guillermo Barros Schelotto in the 82nd minute
Crew SC 1, Dynamo 1 2nd - 82'Mar 21 9:47 PM
- MLS UPDATE
HOUSTON GOAL: Brian Ching in the 53rd minute
Crew SC 0, Dynamo 1 2nd - 53'Mar 21 9:19 PM
HOUSTON 0 HALFTIME
Mar 21 8:53 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Castillo, FC Dallas claim El Capitan in win over Dynamo Jun 27
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- Dynamo, FCD battle for El Capitan Jun 25
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13
- Crew SC, Galaxy square off at Mapfre Stadium Jun 12
- Montreal holds off Crew for first road win Jun 6
- Impact aim to end road troubles in Columbus Jun 5