for this game

Cooper's penalty kick gives FC Dallas win

Apr 20, 2009 - 2:44 AM FRISCO, Texas (AP) -- Call it luck, karma or simply skill, but FC Dallas needed whatever came its way to win its first game of the year.

Kenny Cooper scored twice, including the go-ahead goal on a penalty kick in the 84th minute to help FC Dallas defeat Toronto FC 3-2 on Sunday night.

Dallas, which improved to 1-3-1, had lost its first two home games by a combined score of 5-1.

"Maybe you always need a little luck," Cooper said.

Dallas was awarded the penalty kick after Toronto FC defender Marvell Wynne was called for a hand ball inside the penalty area on a shot taken by David Ferreira. Cooper converted from the 12-yard spot by placing a shot past goalkeeper Stefan Frei into the left corner of the net for his fourth goal of the season.

"Fortunately we got that call," Cooper added. "We did a lot of good things, the harder we work the luckier we get."

Dallas had given up two penalty kicks in its previous three games.

"It was nice to have one go our way," FC Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman said. "Our players played inspired to get a win, use the word karma if you want."

Toronto FC coach John Carver questioned referee Tim Weyland's decision to award Dallas the penalty.

"I wish that camera crew could go into the refs locker room and ask the questions of why they gave the penalty," Carver said. "I have changed my attitude towards people, but when your job is on the line because of calls like that you have to say something."

Toronto FC (1-2-2) erased a 2-0 deficit after Chad Barrett's goal in the 59th minute evened the game at 2. Fuad Ibrahim started the scoring sequence on Barrett's goal with a cross from beyond midfield to Amado Guevara, who headed a pass to Barrett. Barrett dribbled five yards before firing a shot from 12 yards into the left corner of the net.

Toronto FC's Dwayne De Rosario scored the team's first goal in first-half stoppage time when he knocked in a shot from inside the goalie's box off of the left hand of FC Dallas goalkeeper Ray Burse that inched over the goal line.

Dallas' Drew Moor opened the scoring in the 25th minute after heading Dax McCarty's free kick into the left corner of the net.

Minutes earlier, Moor blocked a shot on the goal line to prevent Barrett from scoring in the 21st minute. The goal was left unattended after Burse left the six-yard box to play a shot on the right flank.

"The blocked shot was getting into the right spot," Moor said. "To go back and get a goal when we're on our heels like that feels good."

Cooper extended the lead to 2-0 by scoring his third goal of the season in the 44th minute. Ferreira sent a cross to Cooper, who took two steps before firing a right-footed shot from outside the penalty area into the left corner of the net.

"Coach (Hyndman) has been telling me to get my shot off quicker, but the credit goes to David because he set it up so quickly," Cooper said.

Dallas prevented Toronto from picking up a shot on goal until Amado Guevara's attempt in the 36th minute, but Toronto finished the game with a 15-10 advantage in shots and had seven shots on goal to six for Dallas.

"I had a problem with our team because no one took responsibility, everybody looked a little off pace," Carver said of Toronto's effort.