for this game

Toronto FC 1, Revolution 1

Aug 2, 2009 - 3:32 AM By PETER GOBIS STATS MLS Correspondent

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (STATS) - Once its unprecedented stretch of not allowing a goal had ended, New England needed to get into the business of scoring one.

Edgaras Jankauskas stepped up just in time.

Aided by a man advantage throughout the final 40 minutes - and frustrated by missed opportunities that seemed to last almost just as long - the Revolution finally put one into the back of the net in the 76th minute Saturday night as Jankauskas secured a 1-1 tie with Toronto FC at Gillette Stadium.

Toronto's Chad Barrett was sent off in the 50th minute with his second yellow card of the match, creating a one-man advantage for the Revolution. But as the game creeped on, New England still trailed 1-0 late into the second half.

"We needed goals," said coach Steve Nicol.

Enter Jankauskas, a 34-year old Lithuanian striker who was added to the Revolution roster on July 2. He beat Toronto defender Nick Garcia to a loose ball on the left wing, following a cross by Jay Heaps to Shalrie Joseph on right side. Joseph steered the ball back to the left, leaving Toronto goalie Stefan Frei out of position.

"We created a lot of opportunities," said Joseph of New England, which created a dozen shots and held a 13-4 advantage in corner kicks, eight of those during the second half. "We had chances, half-chances, set pieces, we didn't finish."

Nicol brought on the All-MLS midfielder Joseph, who had been nursing a bruised knee, at the outset of the second half.

"We needed bodies in there," Nicol said.

Earlier, Dwayne DeRosario put Toronto ahead with his eighth goal of the season in the 34th minute. The score, his seventh in 15 matches against New England, snapped a Revolution franchise record streak of 385 shutout minutes. DeRosario one-timed a shot from the right side after teammate Chad Barrett's shot banged off Toronto's Ali Gerba.

"We're making good decisions," said Nicol of his defense, which has allowed just one goal since the eighth minute of a July 4 match at Los Angeles. "If we make a mistake, there's somebody there to clean up. At the present time, we're getting enough balls in the box (offensively), but not at the end of it."

Toronto (7-7-6) had its winless streak extended to three (0-1-2), while New England (6-5-6) extended its unbeaten streak to four (2-0-2). The Revolution is now unbeaten in its last six (3-0-3) matches in Foxborough and has scored 15 of its 19 goals this season during the second half.

Despite the late goal, Toronto coach Chris Cummins seemed please with a tough road draw.

"If you work hard on the pitch, you'll get your rewards," he said. "We're not far away."