for this game

FC Dallas 1, Rapids 1

Jun 25, 2009 - 4:59 AM By DALE BUBLITZ STATS MLS Correspondent

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (STATS) - For the first 83 minutes, the Colorado Rapids appeared to be a desperate lot. Frustration grew with each missed scoring chance.

"It felt like one of those nights when nothing went you're way," Rapids forward Omar Cummings said. "But we were hoping and we got a chance."

The chance belonged to Cummings, and he made the most of it, scoring the tying goal in the 84th minute to help the Rapids extend their franchise-record unbeaten streak to eight with a 1-1 draw against FC Dallas on Wednesday night.

"Lucky, but we worked for it," Cummings said. "It wasn't given to us."

Cummings, who has four goals in his last five games, dribbled the ball inside the penalty area, where he fired a low shot past goalkeeper Ray Burse. The Rapids (5-2-6), 3-0-5 during their unbeaten stretch, bettered the previous mark of seven matches established April 10-May 27, 1999, and equaled Aug. 16-Oct. 2, 2003.

"I had been scoring lately, and the ball has been rolling my way," Cummings said. "Even after I got that goal, I felt like I should have gotten one on an earlier header."

"But we got a point and I'm happy for it."

Colorado's last loss was a 1-0 defeat April 19 at Houston.

"Sure, I would have liked a win," Rapids coach Gary Smith said. "We just couldn't finish."

David Ferreira scored in the 37th minute for Dallas (3-7-5).

"We did have the game under control most of the first half," Smith said. "They didn't have a shot and then they score on the first shot they take."

Despite being dominated in the first half, Dallas grabbed the lead on Ferreira's goal. Kenny Cooper sent a pass to Jeff Cunningham, who nudged the ball ahead to Ferreira outside the goal box, where he beat goalkeeper Matt Pickens for his second goal of the year.

Colorado had several chances to score first before Ferreira's goal. But Burse dived to swat away a shot by Nick LaBrocca in the 15th minute and knocked away a shot by Colin Clark from 25 yards in the 16th.

Clark missed wide right from just inside the penalty area in the 24th minute, and LaBrocca's header in the 45th sailed over the crossbar.

"We got a goal that surprised us and we were able to hold on for quite a while," FC Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman said. "Colorado put us under a tremendous amount of pressure and credit them for fighting it down to the end and getting a good goal from Cummings to tie the game."

Each team had a quality chance in the second half. Burse caught Cory Gibbs' shot in the 55th minute, while Pickens smothered a shot in the 66th by Andre Rocha, who got behind Colorado's defense for a breakaway.

Ugo Ihemelu missed on a header in the 81st minute for Colorado.

I don't we believe we're ever going to lose now," Clark said. "We believe we'll always find a goal."

The feeling was different in the FC Dallas locker room.

"The boys are very disappointed right now," Cunningham said. "We did get a point on the road against a very good team and we should be happy."