Chicago draws New York to extend unbeaten runJun 26, 2011 - 8:31 PM
Marco Pappa scored after halftime and the Fire tied Red Bull New York, 1-1, on Sunday at Toyota Park to remain unbeaten in six games - including five draws - under Klopas.
Klopas replaced Carlos de los Cobos last month, and Chicago (2-4-11) has given up just two goals in the ensuing six-match unbeaten run. The Fire are unbeaten in seven straight overall, as De Los Cobos earned a draw in his last match.
Joel Lindpere scored for Red Bull New York (5-3-9), which has just one victory in its last 10 league games. New York is still just two points out of first in the Eastern Conference.
Chicago goalie Sean Johnson was busy in the first half, pushing a shot by Dane Richards over the crossbar in the 21st and denying Lindpere with a diving save at the left post later in the half.
But after the Fire responded with a chance from Orr Barouch, who headed a pass from Patrick Nyarko just wide of the left post, New York opened the scoring in the 40th minute.
Thierry Henry, back from a one-game suspension, played Lindpere free down the middle and after a mistouch from Chicago's Yamith Cuesta, Lindpere scored back to the left post for his second goal of the season.
New York goalie Bouna Coundoul, who replaced Greg Sutton in goal after his bad outing Thursday in a 4-2 loss to Seattle Sounders FC, maintained the lead into the second half, when Pappa equalized with his fifth goal of the season.
Pappa gained possession outside the area, settled the ball and fired a 25-yard shot toward the far post that bounced on the edge of the six-yard box and over Coundoul to find the left side of the net in the 58th.
Chicago puts its unbeaten streak on the line Saturday at Chivas USA. New York visits the San Jose Earthquakes on July 2.
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5