Ocampo helps Mexico snatch a point against EnglandJun 27, 2011 - 7:53 PM Wolfsburg, Germany (Sports Network) - A fantastic goal from Monica Ocampo in the first half helped Mexico earn its first-ever point at the Women's World Cup after a 1-1 draw with England on Monday in Group B play.
Fara Williams headed England in front after 21 minutes, but Ocampo leveled the match 12 minutes later with a wonderful strike from 30 yards that left England goalkeeper Karen Bardsley with no chance.
Mexico will now look to build on this result when El Tri takes on Japan on Friday, with the Japanese going to the top of Group B with a 2-1 win over New Zealand on Monday.
England will attempt to rebound against the Kiwis in its next match, also on Friday.
"I'm pleased we didn't lose the game, disappointed we didn't win it," said England coach Hope Powell. "If you feel you had opportunities to win the game then naturally you're disappointed. The game was not easy going. It is a start but it would be great to continue from today. We felt as if we dominated the first half, but they took confidence from the goal."
The first 20 minutes saw Mexico frustrate England with a good defensive system, only for Powell's team to move in front from a corner kick.
Karen Carney delivered the cross and Williams turned a looping header on target from 15 yards that sailed over the head of Mexico's 16-year-old goalkeeper, Cecilia Santiago.
But without offering up much of a threat over the first half hour, Mexico snatched a stunning equalizer in the 33rd minute when Dinora Garza laid a ball off to Ocampo, who took a touch and lashed a shot into upper-left corner of the net from 30 yards.
"We achieved a great result today and we are now focusing on the next matches," Ocampo said. "I am very proud of the goal. We have a very good team and I am very proud of their support during this match."
Eniola Aluko went close just a few minutes later for England, while Mexico's Maribel Dominguez just about shaved the outside of the post early in the second half.
Both teams had a late free kick chance to steal three points, but England's Kelly Smith and Ocampo for Mexico both saw their efforts sail over the crossbar.
- ENGLAND: 1
Jun 27 1:49 PM
- 34:00 MINUTES PLAYED Mexico Goal - Ocampo 1 (Garza) 33rd minute
England(5) 1, Mexico(26) 1 1st - 34'Jun 27 12:35 PM
- 22:00 MINUTES PLAYED England Goal - Williams 1 (Carney) 21st minute
England(5) 1, Mexico(26) 0 1st - 22'Jun 27 12:22 PM
- ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 0'
Jun 27 12:00 PM
- England dump Canada to reach WWC15 semis Jun 27
- England want strong referee at World Cup Jun 27
- France downs England on PKs to reach semifinals Jul 9
- England, France battle for first semifinal spot Jul 8
- New Zealand nets two late goals to tie Mexico Jul 5
- England tops Japan to win Group B at WWC Jul 5
- Mexico, New Zealand both eye first WWC win Jul 4
- England hopes to join Japan in knockout round Jul 4
- Clarke rescues England against New Zealand Jul 1
- Sawa's hat trick leads Japan into quarterfinals Jul 1
- England hopes for turnaround against New Zealand Jun 30
- Japan eyes spot in knockout round with win over Mexico Jun 30