for this game

Union draw Revolution in dramatic fashion

Sep 8, 2011 - 3:14 AM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - While the Philadelphia Union failed to snap its winless streak on Wednesday, its 4-4 draw with the New England Revolution at PPL Park will feel like a moral victory because of how the match played out.

Despite being on the wrong end of a 4-1 score line at halftime, the Union battled back with three second-half goals to earn a hard-fought draw.

With the point, Philadelphia, now winless in last seven regular season matches, moves into a tie with the Houston Dynamo for third place in the Eastern Conference with 35 points apiece.

A.J. Soares, Rajko Lekic, Monsef Zerka, and Benny Feilhaber all recorded first-half goals for the Revolution, while Roger Torres, Freddy Adu, and a brace from Sebastien Le Toux brought the Union level.

New England went in front in the 9th minute. Soares took advantage of some slack defending from the Union, as he made a darting run into the box to head home a set piece.

Lekic doubled New England's lead in the 21st minute, drawing a foul in the box and calmly converting the ensuing penalty kick.

Zerka provided a third goal for New England in the 26th minute. Assisted by a gorgeous, curling cross from Chris Tierney on the left flank, Zerka placed his header in the upper right corner of the net, giving Philadelphia goalkeeper Zac MacMath no chance for a save.

But just two minute later, a beautiful effort from Roger Torres pulled a goal back for Philadelphia. Torres received the ball at the corner of the box before turning and curling a shot past Matt Reis and into the far upper corner.

New England restored its three-goal lead in the 33rd minute when Feilhaber took a short pass from Lekic and ripped a low shot just inside MacMath's far post, giving the Revolution a 4-1 going into halftime.

Freddy Adu cut New England's lead in half early in the second period, making a well-timed run into the box to collect a Danny Mwanga through-ball before slipping a shot past Reis.

Philadelphia was awarded a penalty after Sebastien Le Toux was impeded in the 79th minute. The Union talisman stepped up and scored from the spot, pulling his side to within one.

Le Toux completed the miraculous comeback in the dying minutes following a scramble in the box. New England failed to clear the ball, and Le Toux took advantage, smashing a shot past Reis to wrap up the scoring.

Philadelphia continued to push in search of a winner, but even with eight minutes of added time, it could not find a go-ahead goal.

Indicative of how its last few matches have ended, New England threw away an early lead to come away with a point that should have been three.

"You score four goals, you expect to win the game," Revolution head coach Steve Nicol said after the match. "We defended badly, but both teams were bad defensively."

With the draw, the club is now tied with Toronto FC for eighth in the East with 24 points each.

Both teams return to action on Saturday as New England (4-11-12) will head home to host FC Dallas, while Philadelphia (8-7-11) will remain at PPL Park to face the Portland Timbers.