Johnson lifts Seattle over ChicagoApr 29, 2012 - 3:03 AM Bridgeview, IL (Sports Network) - Eddie Johnson had a goal and an assist, and Seattle Sounders FC edged the Chicago Fire, 2-1, on Saturday at Toyota Park in Major League Soccer.
Johnson, who returned to MLS this year after a stint in Europe, set up a David Estrada goal in the first half and followed with the match-winning goal in the 67th minute.
Seattle (4-1-1) earned its second positive road result this year, and extended its unbeaten streak away from home to seven games, which includes six wins and a draw dating back to last season.
Chicago (2-2-2), which got a late goal from Marco Pappa, lost at home for the first time this season in three matches.
Estrada opened the scoring in the 39th minute when he took a pass from Johnson and sent a shot off the leg of Chicago defender Arne Friedrich and inside the left post for his team-high fifth goal of the season.
Johnson headed off the post in the 61st, as he came within inches of his first goal, and Pappa had a goal called back for offsides in the 63rd as each squad had a close call.
Seattle followed with the eventual game-winner, as Jhon Kennedy Hurtado turned a rebound on goal and Johnson poked the ball into the net from close range for his first MLS goal since 2007 with Kansas City.
Chicago pulled one goal back in the 89th, as Pappa swung a corner kick in from the right that got caught up in the wind, sailed off the left post and bounced into net.
Seattle held on through six minutes of stoppage time, as it claimed a rematch of last season's U.S. Open Cup final. Sounders FC won its third straight Open Cup last season with a 2-0 win over the Fire.
The Sounders won for the fourth time this season in just six matches ahead of their home fixture against the Los Angeles Galaxy on Wednesday. Chicago visits Chivas USA on Friday.
- SEATTLE: 2
Apr 28 10:32 PM
- Chicago Goal - Pappa 1 (unassisted), 89th minute
Sounders FC 2, Fire 1 2nd - 89'Apr 28 10:26 PM
- Seattle Goal - Johnson 1 (Hurtado), 67th minute
Sounders FC 2, Fire 0 2nd - 68'Apr 28 10:04 PM
- SEATTLE: 1
2nd Half - 90'
Sounders FC 1, Fire 0 2nd - 90'Apr 28 9:31 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 28 8:39 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Neagle lifts Sounders past FCD at CenturyLink Jun 14
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- West foes clash as Sounders host FCD at CenturyLink Jun 12
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12