Fire doomed by own goal in defeat at PortlandMay 21, 2012 - 1:09 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - The Portland Timbers used a bit of good fortune to end a three-game winless streak on Sunday as an own goal from the Chicago Fire's Logan Pause was the difference in a 2-1 Timbers victory at Jeld-Wen Field.
Eric Brunner's first goal of the season in the 20th minute had Portland in front before the Fire equalized in the 39th minute through Jalil Anibaba.
However, the Fire was unable to extend its good run of results as the club saw its three-game unbeaten streak halted thanks to an own goal from Pause.
The Timbers struck first from a corner kick as the ball was played to the back post where Hanyer Mosquera nodded it into the six-yard box. Kris Boyd got a touch on the ball for Portland, and Brunner was on hand to provide the finish from a few yards.
Portland goalkeeper Troy Perkins did well to keep his team ahead in the 35th minute when he turned a shot from Pavel Pardo past the post with a diving stop.
But the Fire leveled the contest four minutes later as Marco Pappa drove a low ball into the penalty area for Anibaba, who took a touch to settle the ball before lashing it inside the far post.
Sal Zizzo came off the bench at halftime for Portland and his corner kick in the 52nd minute led to the go-ahead goal. He played the ball to the near post for Boyd, who flicked it on to the front of the net where it deflected off the knee of Pause and into his own goal.
It was a tough break for Chicago, and the closest that the visitors came to an equalizer was a deflected shot from Gonzalo Segares that narrowly missed the right post.
- CHICAGO: 1
May 20 8:58 PM
- Portland Goal - Pause (OG), 52nd minute
Fire 1, Timbers 2 2nd - 54'May 20 8:19 PM
- Chicago Goal - Anibaba 1 (Pappa), 39th minute
Fire 1, Timbers 1 1st - 41'May 20 7:47 PM
- Portland Goal - Brunner 1 (Boyd), 20th minute
Fire 0, Timbers 1 1st - 22'May 20 7:28 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 20 7:06 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7