Henry's splendid strike lifts New York past ChicagoJul 18, 2012 - 7:04 PM Harrison, NJ (Sports Network) - It took nearly three months, but Thierry Henry once again found the net for Red Bull New York, lifting his side to a 1-0 win over the Chicago Fire at a steamy Red Bull Arena on Wednesday.
The high temperatures forced a slower pace that saw New York create the better of the chances and finally go in front in the 71st minute with a moment of magic from the Frenchman.
Sebastien Le Toux chipped a ball from midfield that found the chest of Henry, who brought it down and fired an unstoppable shot from a tight angle off the far post and into the net.
It was Henry's first goal since April 28 and it came at a good time, handing the Red Bulls just their second win in the past eight games and moving the club four points clear of the Fire and into second place in the Eastern Conference.
The first real chance of the match arrived after 21 minutes when Mehdi Ballouchy danced past a defender and had his shot saved at the near post by goalkeeper Sean Johnson.
Le Toux then had an opportunity before the break to put his side ahead but his lobbed effort from inside the penalty area sailed over the crossbar.
Chicago continued to struggle in the offensive third and Henry finally broke the deadlock with his individual brilliance to put more pressure on the visitors.
Down a goal, the Fire played with a greater sense of urgency and Gonzalo Segares had Chicago's best chance of the match in the 84th minute when his goal-bound volley was cleared off the line by New York defender Brandon Barklage to preserve the win.
- CHICAGO: 0
NEW YORK: 1
Jul 18 3:00 PM
- New York Goal - Henry 10 (Le Toux), 71st minute
Fire 0, Red Bulls 1 2nd - 72'Jul 18 2:38 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 18 1:09 PM
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5