Zusi helps Sporting clinch playoff berthSep 29, 2012 - 2:51 AM Kansas City, KS (Sports Network) - A goal in each half from Graham Zusi propelled Sporting Kansas City to a 2-0 win over the Chicago Fire at Livestrong Sporting Park on Friday, allowing the club to clinch a playoff berth.
The teams entered the contest separated by two points at the top of the Eastern Conference table, and Zusi struck the decisive blow early on before netting his second goal just before the final whistle to move Sporting five points clear of the second-place Fire and extend Kansas City's unbeaten run to nine games.
Chicago had won seven of its previous eight games but saw its run slowed by a defensively stout Sporting club.
Kansas City goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen had a relatively quiet night in goal, and Chicago's best chance came five minutes into the match as Chris Rolfe missed the net from 12 yards with only Nielsen to beat.
The home side grabbed the lead in the 11th minute as Kei Kamara made his way down the right flank and delivered a low cross near the penalty spot for Zusi, who turned a first-time shot past goalkeeper Sean Johnson.
Kamara nearly found the net himself in the 36th when he got on the other end of a corner kick, but his powerful header was tipped onto the crossbar by Johnson, keeping the ball out.
Sporting had the better of the play in the second half and the lead never really seemed like it would be threatened as the Fire managed to put just one shot on target over the course of 90 minutes.
Zusi then capped the win with a goal on the break as he curled a shot into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the penalty area.
- CHICAGO: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 2
Sep 28 10:47 PM
- Kansas City Goal - Zusi 5 (unassisted), 90th minute
Fire 0, Sporting Kansas City 2 2nd - 89'Sep 28 10:47 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 1
1st Half - 23'
Fire 0, Sporting Kansas City 1 1st - 23'Sep 28 9:14 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
SPORTING KANSAS CITY: 0
1st Half - 1'
Sep 28 8:51 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- Feilhaber powers Sporting past Sounders Jun 6
- Streaking Sporting set to square off with Sounders Jun 5
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5