DCU ties Chicago to clinch second placeOct 27, 2012 - 10:28 PM Bridgeview, IL (Sports Network) - The Eastern Conference playoff picture is set.
D.C. United clinched second place in the East on Saturday, coming from behind to earn a point in a 1-1 draw with the Chicago Fire at Toyota Park.
Patrick Nyarko had put the Fire in front at the 16-minute mark, collecting a pass from Sherjill MacDonald and firing a brilliant shot just inside Bill Hamid's left post from the top of the box.
But United drew level less than five minutes into the second half as Lionard Pajoy's glancing header from Branko Boskovic's delivery found its way past Sean Johnson.
Chicago applied a great deal of pressure on the United net in the closing minutes, but Hamid produced several key saves to deny the home side three points and clinch the number two seed for Ben Olsen's men.
D.C. (17-10-7) will return to the postseason for the first time in five years in a two-legged affair with Red Bull New York. The first leg will be held at Red Bull Arena next weekend.
Chicago (17-11-6) concludes the regular season in fourth place and will host the Houston Dynamo on Wednesday to determine which side will face Sporting Kansas City.
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Orlando City stuns Fire with late rally Jun 6
- Giovinco's brace powers TFC past DCU Jun 6
- OCSC, Fire lock horns at Toyota Park Jun 5