TFC's woes continue as Chivas claims another road winApr 14, 2012 - 10:52 PM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Chivas USA held off a late rally from Toronto FC to claim a 1-0 victory over the Canadian side at BMO Field on Saturday, continuing a great run of form for the Goats away from home.
Chivas has now won its first three road games of the season to set a franchise record, while TFC also set a new mark on Saturday by losing for the fifth time in as many games to give Toronto its worst start in the history of the club.
The visiting side certainly didn't create many chances but made the most of a first-half set piece as Oswaldo Minda got on the other end of a corner kick from Miller Bolanos to turn a header inside the near post in the 31st minute.
Toronto wasn't very threatening in the first half either and its best chance came shortly before halftime as Joao Plata struck the post.
Chivas was content to sit back and defend its lead and had to withstand some heavy pressure from the home side over the final 20 minutes.
Danny Koevermans was set up for a good opportunity by Plata but goalkeeper Dan Kennedy came to the rescue to deny the effort.
Kennedy needed a bit of help in the 80th minute to keep Chivas ahead as Ryan Johnson got into the area and fired a shot that the 'keeper could only get a hand on. The ball was headed toward the net but defender Heath Pearce got back to clear it off the line.
Eric Avila came off the bench to provide a spark for Toronto and he nearly set up the equalizer with a right-wing cross that Johnson headed inches past the post.
Plata and Koevermans combined once again in the 89th minute to leave the Dutchman with an open shot at goal from eight yards. However, he fired the ball straight at Kennedy, who was able to tip it past the post to preserve the win.
- CHIVAS USA: 1
TORONTO FC: 0
Apr 14 6:30 PM
- Chivas USA Goal - Minda 1 (Bolanos), 31st minute
Chivas USA 1, Toronto FC 0 1st - 34'Apr 14 5:13 PM
- CHIVAS USA: 0
TORONTO FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 14 4:39 PM
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19
- TFC's Giovinco claims second straight Player of the Week honor Jun 9
- Giovinco's brace powers TFC past DCU Jun 6
- East rivals clash as TFC battles United Jun 5
- TFC's Giovinco named MLS Player of the Week Jun 2
- Moore powers TFC past 'Quakes May 30
- 'Quakes set to battle TFC at BMO May 29