Bolanos helps Chivas down PortlandJul 18, 2012 - 10:09 PM Carson, CA (Sports Network) - Miller Bolanos recorded his first career goal in Major League Soccer on Wednesday, finding the back of the net in the 16th minute to help Chivas USA earn a 1-0 win over the Portland Timbers.
Chivas entered the match with the worst home record in MLS, but Wednesday's win saw the Goats (6-7-5) improve to 3-6-2 at The Home Depot Center and pull further away from the Western Conference cellar.
It did not take the home side long to grab the lone goal of the affair.
Ryan Smith collected an aerial ball on the right flank and beat his man to play a low ball across the face of goal. Portland goalkeeper Troy Perkins parried away the delivery but Bolanos was waiting at the back post to slot home from close range after just 15 minutes.
The Goats came close to doubling the advantage down the stretch.
Juan Pablo Angel latched on to through ball 16 minutes from time only for Perkins to punch the ball away. It fell to Paolo Cardozo, but his chipped effort bounced in front of goal and skipped just wide of the post.
Ben Zemanski nearly added an insurance goal in the 81st minute when he evaded several Portland defenders in the box, but he was unable to hit the target with his attempt.
Chivas staved off some late half-chances from the visitors to claim all three points and extend its unbeaten run to four games.
Portland (5-10-4) stays put on 19 points for the season, four points behind Chivas after losing its third straight league match.
The Timbers remain winless on the road this term, going 0-7-2 away from Jeld- Wen Field. They will look for that elusive first away victory next time out when they face FC Dallas at FC Dallas Stadium on Saturday.
Chivas also returns to action on Saturday as the club gears up for the Super Clasico against the Los Angeles Galaxy at The Home Depot Center. The Goats will be designated as the away team.
- PORTLAND: 0
CHIVAS USA: 1
Jul 18 6:00 PM
- Chivas USA Goal - Bolanos 1 (Smith), 16th minute
Timbers 0, Chivas USA 1 1st - 19'Jul 18 4:28 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
CHIVAS USA: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 18 4:08 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7
- Timbers return home to tussle with Revs Jun 5
- Rapids hope for home success against Timbers May 29
- United, Timbers square off at Providence Park May 26
- Giovinco fires TFC past Timbers at BMO May 23