Califf helps Chivas pile more misery on PortlandJul 29, 2012 - 5:12 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - Gavin Wilkinson's woes as interim head coach of the Portland Timbers continued on Saturday as the club suffered its fifth straight league defeat with a 1-0 loss to Chivas USA at Jeld-Wen Field.
Danny Califf provided the killer blow to the Timbers, scoring in the 68th minute to see Chivas (8-8-5) take nine points from its three games against Portland.
Since Wilkinson took over for John Spencer as head coach, Portland (5-13-4) has lost four in a row by a combined score of 12-3. The club remains tied with Toronto FC for last in MLS with 19 points apiece.
Portland had the better running of most of the match as Kris Boyd led the way with six shots, three of which were on goal.
But Califf helped the Goats steal the victory, nodding home a set piece delivery from Ben Zemanski midway through the second half for his first goal of the season.
The visitors held on for the final 22 minutes, improving to 29 points to remain just four points shy of a playoff spot with two games in hand.
Portland returns to action on August 5 with a massive clash against FC Dallas at Jeld-Wen. Chivas will enjoy a week off, picking up again on August 12 with the latest installment of the Super Clasico, taking on the Los Angeles Galaxy as the home team.
- CHIVAS USA: 1
Jul 29 12:59 AM
- Chivas USA Goal - Califf (Zemanski), 68th minute
Chivas USA 1, Timbers 0 2nd - 70'Jul 29 12:35 AM
- CHIVAS USA: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 28 11:07 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7
- Timbers return home to tussle with Revs Jun 5
- Rapids hope for home success against Timbers May 29
- United, Timbers square off at Providence Park May 26
- Giovinco fires TFC past Timbers at BMO May 23