Angel nets late equalizer as Chivas earns draw with RapidsAug 19, 2012 - 3:24 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - The Colorado Rapids just can't seem to buy a win at the moment.
After taking a 1-0 lead into the 83rd minute of Saturday's 1-1 draw with Chivas USA at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, the Rapids watched Juan Pablo Angel net the equalizer for the visiting side to leave with a point.
In a game that saw precious few scoring opportunities for either side, Brian Mullan's first-half goal looked like it would be enough for Colorado.
But after losing seven of its previous eight games, nothing seems to be coming easily for the Rocky Mountain outfit.
Colorado created most of the chances and nearly went in front in the opening 15 minutes when Hunter Freeman's cross was headed wide of the net by Omar Cummings from six yards.
However, the Rapids got a break in the 19th when Mullan stole the ball from Chivas USA's Shalrie Joseph and fired a shot past goalkeeper Dan Kennedy and inside the far post.
Kennedy did well to keep his team within a goal on the hour mark when he made a diving stop on another Cummings header to give his side a chance.
And although Chivas only managed to put two shots on goal the entire match, the Goats made one of them count as a cross from substitute Tristan Bowen was redirected past goalkeeper Matt Pickens at close range by Angel.
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5
- Rapids hope for home success against Timbers May 29
- Rapids roll into Seattle to tangle with Sounders May 26
- Pittinari's goal lifts Rapids past 'Caps May 23
- 'Caps set to face Rapids at DSG Park May 22
- Sporting aims to continue home dominance over Rapids May 15