Wondolowski powers 'Quakes to win over RevsMar 11, 2012 - 7:27 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Wondolowski picked up in 2012 right where he left off in 2011 as he nabbed the lone goal for the San Jose Earthquakes in their 1-0 win over the New England Revolution on Saturday.
Wondolowski finished tied with Dwayne DeRosario atop the 2011 Major League Soccer scoring chart with 16 goals on the season, and it did not take him long to open his scoring account in the 2012 season as the 29-year-old picked up a through ball from Shea Salinas in the 15th minute and slotted a shot past Matt Reis on a breakaway to get San Jose off to a flying start in the new year.
It was the first time that the Earthquakes have won their home opener since rejoining MLS as an expansion side in 2008. The 'Quakes lost their last four home openers by a combined score of 6-0.
New England has also started the new season in similar fashion to how it ended the 2011 campaign, but on more sour note. The Revs ended the 2011 season tied with Vancouver Whitecaps FC for the fewest points in the league after losing five of their last six contests.
Saturday's result is a debilitating one for Jay Heaps and New England. The former Revolution star was appointed as head coach in offseason to replace Steve Nicol, receiving the daunting task of trying to lift the club out of the MLS cellar. Things won't get much easier for the Revs as they will remain on the road for a clash against Sporting Kansas City at Livestrong Sporting Park.
Wondolowski and San Jose will look to continue their good form when they square off against the Houston Dynamo on March 17.
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
SAN JOSE: 1
Mar 11 1:31 AM
- San Jose Goal - Wondolowski 1 (Salinas), 15th minute
Revolution 0, Earthquakes 1 1st - 15'Mar 10 11:55 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 10 11:39 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Revs aim to stop the rot against Fire Jun 12
- Adi's brace helps Timbers topple Revs Jun 7