Ten-man Colorado holds off UnionMar 18, 2012 - 11:13 PM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - The Colorado Rapids claimed a second win in as many matches to open the new season as the club held on for a 2-1 win over the Philadelphia Union at PPL Park on Sunday.
Colorado (2-0-0) began the campaign with a 2-0 win over Columbus, and went in front in the 56th minute through Jaime Castrillon before playing the final 32 minutes of the match with 10 men following a second yellow card being issued to Jeff Larentowicz.
Tony Cascio doubled the lead for the Rapids, who held out for the win despite conceding a goal to Lionard Pajoy five minutes later.
The hosts enjoyed the better of the play in the first half with Colorado goalkeeper Matt Pickens being called into action on a few occasions, while the Rapids did little to trouble his counterpart, Zac MacMath.
But after a shaky performance in the Union's 3-1 season-opening defeat at Portland, MacMath had another bad moment in the 56th minute when a cross from Omar Cummings slipped through the fingertips of the 'keeper, allowing Castrillon to head the ball into the empty net.
A late challenge by Larentowicz on the Union's Keon Daniel a few minutes later gave the hosts a bit of hope. But it was Colorado that added to the lead when Cascio stole the ball from defender Chris Albright on the wing and dribbled into the area before beating MacMath.
"I never gave up on the play and it just kind of opened up for me," said Cascio of his first MLS goal. "I just figured 'why not take a shot', especially since we were down a man."
Pajoy tallied his first goal for the Union with more than 20 minutes still to play when he turned his header past Pickens from a Roger Torres cross.
However, the Union (0-2-0) was denied a share of the points as Michael Farfan's flicked effort struck the crossbar before Pajoy failed to hit the target in the 89th minute despite getting a good look at the net.
"Overall I thought we played a good game," Union head coach Peter Nowak said. "Unfortunately we made some mistakes that need to be cleaned up."
- COLORADO: 2
Mar 18 6:11 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Pajoy 1 (Torres), 67th minute
Rapids 2, Union 1 2nd - 68'Mar 18 5:45 PM
- Colorado Goal - Cascio 1 (unassisted), 62nd minute
Rapids 2, Union 0 2nd - 63'Mar 18 5:40 PM
- Colorado Goal - Castrillon 1 (Cummings), 56th minute
Rapids 1, Union 0 2nd - 58'Mar 18 5:35 PM
- COLORADO: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 18 4:20 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18