Keane carries Galaxy past D.C.Mar 19, 2012 - 1:08 AM Carson, CA (Sports Network) - Robbie Keane scored a goal in each half to lead the Los Angeles Galaxy to a 3-1 win over D.C. United at The Home Depot Center on Sunday.
The Galaxy (1-1-0) squandered a host of chances in the first half before Keane put them in front just before the break, while the Irishman netted his second goal with 20 minutes to play.
Marcelo Sarvas came off the bench to add a third goal for L.A. in the 86th minute before United's Nick DeLeon scored one minute later to spoil the clean sheet for Galaxy goalkeeper Josh Saunders.
D.C. netminder Joe Willis was plenty busy in the first half as he did well to keep out shots from Mike Magee and Keane before finally conceding in the 45th minute.
Todd Dunivant found himself open at the back post and he nodded a cross back through the face of goal to an unmarked Keane, who easily finished from inside the six-yard box.
Despite creating few chances in the first half United substitute Emiliano Dudar missed a great opportunity to level the match as he put a shot over the net from just a few yards out.
The Galaxy took advantage and Landon Donovan had a big hand in the second goal, stealing the ball in the attacking third and laying it off to Keane on the left. He then took two touches and hammered a left-footed shot inside the far post.
Edson Buddle forced Willis into a good save 15 minutes from time, but David Beckham played provider in the 86th with a short chip that was turned in at the near post by the head of Sarvas.
The lone blemish for L.A. came just after the goal as Marcelo Saragosa played in DeLeon for his first tally of the campaign.
L.A.'s win comes after a 3-1 defeat to Real Salt Lake to open the season, while United (0-2-0) has lost its first two matches.
- D.C. UNITED: 1
LOS ANGELES: 3
Mar 18 9:00 PM
- D.C. United Goal - DeLeon 1 (Saragosa), 87th minute
D.C. United 1, Galaxy 3 2nd - 88'Mar 18 8:55 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Sarvas 1 (Beckham), 86th minute
D.C. United 0, Galaxy 3 2nd - 86'Mar 18 8:54 PM
- D.C. UNITED: 0
LOS ANGELES: 2
2nd Half - 75'
D.C. United 0, Galaxy 2 2nd - 75'Mar 18 8:43 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Keane 1 (Dunivant), 45th minute
D.C. United 0, Galaxy 1 1st - 44'Mar 18 7:54 PM
- D.C. UNITED: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 18 7:08 PM
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19