Sene helps Revs edge Timbers for first winMar 24, 2012 - 10:17 PM Foxborough, MA (Sports Network) - Saer Sene scored the lone goal in a 1-0 defeat of the Portland Timbers at Gillette Stadium on Saturday, helping the New England Revolution claim their first win of the 2012 Major League Soccer season.
The Revolution entered the match without a point and without a goal in the early season, losing to the San Jose Earthquakes and Sporting Kansas City in their first two matches by a combined score of 4-0. But Sene's goal not only helped give the team their first goal and first win of the season, it gave Jay Heaps his first victory as an MLS head coach.
It did not take New England long to open the scoring as the Revolution broke through less than 30 seconds into the match.
The Revs started the contest brightly with a move worked down the left flank. Chris Tierney collected the ball out wide a delivered a perfect cross that was met by a powerful snap-header from Sene. The Frenchman's effort was perfectly placed under the crossbar, leaving Timbers goalkeeper Troy Perkins no chance.
Both sides created several half-chances in the remainder of the match, but with no further goals, Sene's header proved to be all that New England would need to clinch three points in its home opener.
The Revs (1-2-0) will have their work cut out for them in their next MLS encounter as they will head out to The Home Depot Center to face the reigning MLS champion Los Angeles Galaxy on March 31.
Portland (1-1-1) suffers its first loss of the season after starting the year with four points from its opening two matches. John Spencer's men will have a tough task ahead of them when they return to action at Jeld-Wen Field against Real Salt Lake on March 31.
- PORTLAND: 0
NEW ENGLAND: 1
Mar 24 6:01 PM
- New England Goal - Sene 1 (Tierney), 1st minute
Timbers 0, Revolution 1 1st - 3'Mar 24 4:13 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 24 4:09 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19