Union ties unbeaten Whitecaps for first pointMar 31, 2012 - 10:14 PM Chester, PA (Sports Network) - For the first time in three years, Philadelphia Union fans were happy to see Sebastien Le Toux waste a scoring opportunity.
Le Toux lifted a late chance over the crossbar to waste one of the top scoring chances in his first match against his old club Saturday, as the winless Union earned their first point with a 0-0 tie against Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
The Union (0-3-1) traded Le Toux to the Whitecaps in January and while his old club has struggled through the first three weeks of the year, his new club did not allow a goal to post a pair of wins and a draw in the first three weeks.
Vancouver (2-0-2) extended its shutout streak to four matches to open the year as Joe Cannon made the best of his three saves 2 minutes from time to preserve the streak and the club's unbeaten start.
The Whitecaps, in just their second season in MLS, could set a new MLS shutout streak to start the season when it visits the San Jose Earthquakes on April 7. Red Bull New York set the current mark of 421 minutes in 2007.
Philadelphia notched its first shutout of the year, but goalkeeper Zac MacMath did not make one save in the game. Le Toux, who had 25 goals and 20 assists in his two seasons with Philadelphia, let him off the hook late.
The Union are off next weekend, and host the Columbus Crew in their next match April 14 at PPL Park.
- VANCOUVER FC: 0
Mar 31 5:58 PM
- VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Mar 31 4:08 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Edu saves point for Union in draw with Impact Jun 27
- Union ready to tangle with Impact at PPL Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- NYC snaps winless skid as Mullins leaves it late Jun 6