Pontius leaves it late as D.C. tops New EnglandApr 14, 2012 - 10:37 PM Foxborough, MA (Sports Network) - Chris Pontius came off the bench to score the winning goal eight minutes from time in a 2-1 D.C. United win against the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium on Saturday.
The Revs jumped out to an early lead through Jose Moreno but allowed United to equalize in the 19th minute.
Things stayed level until the 82nd when Pontius got on the other end of a flicked header from Nick DeLeon to beat goalkeeper Matt Reis and hand his team its second win in three matches.
After losing its first two games of the campaign United has claimed eight points from its last four matches, while the Revs have been defeated four times in six contests.
The hosts got off to a great start with Moreno volleying home a left-wing cross from Saer Sene after six minutes.
However, a corner kick saw D.C. claw back to level terms as DeLeon's cross was knocked toward goal by a bicycle kick from Dwayne De Rosario. On its way to the net Maicon Santos cut in front of Reis and nodded the ball past the 'keeper for his third goal of the season.
Lee Nguyen needed to clear the ball off his own goal line to keep the Revs level, while a free kick from Chris Tierney was curled past the wall but pushed off the post by D.C. goalkeeper Joe Willis, preventing it from crossing the line.
Scoring opportunities were not as plentiful after the break but Pontius provided the difference just three minutes after entering the match.
DeLeon flicked a ball on that Pontius brought down and fired past Reis to help United snap a five-game losing streak against New England.
The hosts had one final chance to snatch a point from the game in the 90th minute but Sene's header from 10 yards was straight at Willis.
- D.C. UNITED: 2
NEW ENGLAND: 1
Apr 14 6:00 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Pontius 1 (DeLeon), 82nd minute
D.C. United 2, Revolution 1 2nd - 83'Apr 14 5:49 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Santos 3 (De Rosario), 19th minute
D.C. United 1, Revolution 1 1st - 20'Apr 14 4:29 PM
- New England Goal - Moreno 1 (Sene), 6th minute
D.C. United 0, Revolution 1 1st - 7'Apr 14 4:17 PM
- D.C. UNITED: 0
NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 14 4:08 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Quick strikes lead Revs past Fire Jun 13
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12