Scott nets first MLS goal as Seattle tops ColoradoApr 14, 2012 - 10:17 PM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Zach Scott's 63rd-minute goal was all that was required to lift Seattle Sounders FC to a 1-0 win over the Colorado Rapids at CenturyLink Field on Saturday.
Seattle has now won its last four games against the Rapids and has made the most of an early-season schedule that sees the club play four of its first five matches on home soil.
The Sounders had a pair of good chances in the opening 15 minutes as Fredy Montero created the first with a nice turn inside the penalty area that was followed by a shot toward the far post. However, Rapids goalkeeper Matt Pickens reacted well and parried the effort.
Scott got into a good area for Seattle and had a free header eight yards from goal but watched as his effort sailed wide of the upper corner.
The Rapids slowly worked their way into the game and nearly found the equalizer when Brian Mullan had the ball in the net in the 32nd minute, only for the offside flag to go up.
Chances were limited after the break and it took a set piece situation for the hosts to snatch the lead as Alex Caskey's corner kick was swung into the box for Scott, who met the ball at the near post and redirected it with his head into the far corner.
It was the first MLS goal for Scott and it helped Seattle earn a third win in four home games.
Colorado has lost three of its last four matches and nearly gave away a late goal in the 89th minute when a lobbed effort from Montero required an acrobatic stop from Pickens, who pushed the ball over the crossbar.
- COLORADO: 0
Apr 14 5:57 PM
- Seattle Goal - Scott 1 (Caskey), 63rd minute
Rapids 0, Sounders FC 1 2nd - 64'Apr 14 5:28 PM
- COLORADO: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 14 4:07 PM
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Sapong's goal lifts Union past Sounders Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Union set for stern test against Sounders Jun 23
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18