Beckham, Donovan help L.A. down PortlandApr 15, 2012 - 5:01 AM Carson, CA (Sports Network) - With David Beckham, Landon Donovan and company, it was only a matter of time for the Los Angeles Galaxy.
Beckham scored the third of three straight Los Angeles goals Saturday night in stoppage time, as Los Angeles snapped a two-match losing streak with a 3-1 win over the Portland Timbers in Major League Soccer at The Home Depot Center.
Beckham's curling shot from 30 yards that was driven perfectly into the upper- right corner was his first this year, and followed the first goals of the year for both Donovan and Juninho.
Los Angeles (2-3-0) climbed off the bottom of the Western Conference standings and left Portland (1-4-1) alone at the foot of the table after its fourth loss in a row.
The Timbers were the better squad early on the road, as Kris Boyd notched his third goal of the season in the 22nd minute off an assist from Eric Alexander.
Boyd appeared to give Portland a two-goal cushion just minutes later, but what looked to be a good goal was called back for offside.
L.A. took advantage of the break to tie the match before half, as Robbie Keane slipped a pass to the middle of the area for Donovan, who sent a shot into the net from 16 yards in the 44th minute.
Center back David Junior Lopes, acquired this week in a trade with Chivas USA, nearly marked his L.A. debut with a goal, but lifted a close-range shot over the bar and then had a shot cleared off the line.
After Lopes' second miss, Alexander nearly gave Portland the lead but his shot in the 73rd caught the front of the crossbar.
Just 10 minutes later, Juninho settled a clearance outside the area and sent a low shot into the bottom-left corner to put L.A. ahead, and Beckham capped the night with a great long-range finish past a helpless Troy Perkins.
Portland lost four straight for the first time in its brief history, and faces undefeated and untied Sporting Kansas City at Jeld-Wen Field on April 21. L.A. will try to build on its win April 21 at the Colorado Rapids.
- PORTLAND: 1
LOS ANGELES: 3
Apr 15 12:31 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Beckham 1 (Donovan), 90th minute
Timbers 1, Galaxy 3 2nd - 90'Apr 15 12:29 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Juninho 1 (unassisted), 83rd minute
Timbers 1, Galaxy 2 2nd - 85'Apr 15 12:21 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Donovan 1 (Keane), 44th minute
Timbers 1, Galaxy 1 1st - 45'Apr 14 11:25 PM
- Portland Goal - Boyd 3 (Alexander), 22nd minute
Timbers 1, Galaxy 0 1st - 21'Apr 14 11:05 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 14 10:41 PM
- Timbers' Adi named Player of the Week Jun 30
- Adi leads Timbers over Sounders in Cascadia Cup Jun 28
- Timbers, Sounders set for Cascadia clash Jun 26
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Timbers top Dynamo for fourth straight win Jun 21
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- Timbers aim to continue surge against Dynamo Jun 19
- Higuain helps Crew SC draw Galaxy Jun 13