Saunders saves PK to help L.A. edge ColoradoApr 22, 2012 - 3:31 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - Josh Saunders saved a penalty in stoppage time as the Los Angeles Galaxy downed the Colorado Rapids, 2-1, on Saturday at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Major League Soccer.
Saunders dove to his left to push a penalty kick from Omar Cummings wide of the post, denying the Rapids striker his second goal of the night to preserve a win for the Galaxy.
Los Angeles led via a first-half own goal and a strike from Landon Donovan, but the Rapids pulled a goal back through Cummings in the 63rd minute, and Colorado drew a disputed penalty kick in the final seconds of normal time.
L.A. defender David Junior Lopes was called for a foul on Andre Akpan, and even shown a yellow card, but did not even appear to touch the Rapids substitute.
Cummings waited a few minutes as referee Ramon Hernandez fought off a number of upset Galaxy players, including David Beckham, and drove a shot to the bottom- right that was not as close to the post as he would have liked.
Saunders guessed correctly and easily pushed the shot off target as L.A. sealed its second straight win and third victory this season through five matches.
L.A.(3-3-0) began the scoring in the 21st minute when Colorado (3-4-0) defender Marvell Wynne turned the ball into his own net, and Donovan added his second of the season with a left-footed finish in the 39th off an assist from Keane.
Cummings gained possession in midfield, drove to the edge of the area and fired a shot past Saunders early in the second half to bring Colorado within a goal - but the L.A. goalie made sure the one-goal cushion stood up with his late save.
L.A. will try to build on another win April 28 when it hosts FC Dallas, and the Rapids will try to end a three-game losing streak when they host Chivas USA the same day.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Apr 21 11:03 PM
- Colorado Goal - Cummings 3 (unassisted), 63rd minute
Galaxy 2, Rapids 1 2nd - 66'Apr 21 10:30 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Donovan 2 (Keane), 39th minute
Galaxy 2, Rapids 0 1st - 40'Apr 21 9:49 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Wynne (OG), 21st minute
Galaxy 1, Rapids 0 1st - 24'Apr 21 9:33 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 21 9:08 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Keane shines as Los Angeles pummels Portland Jun 25
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Galaxy's Zardes named Player of the Week Jun 23
- West rivals clash as Galaxy host Timbers Jun 23
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Husidic, Zardes help Galaxy smash Union Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- Union set to battle Galaxy at StubHub Center Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18