San Jose leaves it late to down nine-man RSLApr 22, 2012 - 4:47 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Simon Dawkins and Chris Wondolowski scored in stoppage time as the San Jose Earthquakes defeated nine-man Real Salt Lake, 3-1, on Saturday night at Buck Shaw Stadium in Major League Soccer.
San Jose won for the fourth time during a five-game unbeaten streak, and moved ahead of Real Salt Lake for first place in the Western Conference.
Real (5-3-0), which had Fabian Espindola and Jamison Olave shown straight red cards, used a second-half goal from Kyle Beckerman to erase a first-half goal from Khari Stephenson, but could not hold up through stoppage time.
Dawkins notched the game-winner for San Jose (5-1-1) when he turned a pass from Steven Beitashour, who also assisted on the first Earthquakes' goal, past Real goalie Nick Rimando.
Wondolowski followed with his eighth goal of the season, which leads MLS, as the Earthquakes finished off short-handed RSL.
Real, which has lost two straight, can regain the top spot in the West when it hosts FC Dallas on Wednesday. San Jose visits the Philadelphia Union on April 28, when RSL also hosts Toronto FC to cap a two-game week.
- REAL SALT LAKE: 1
SAN JOSE: 3
Apr 22 12:32 AM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Beckerman 2 (Steele), 53rd minute
Real Salt Lake 1, Earthquakes 1 2nd - 55'Apr 21 11:50 PM
- San Jose Goal - Stephenson 1 (Beitashour), 45th minute
Real Salt Lake 0, Earthquakes 1 1st - 45'Apr 21 11:27 PM
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 21 10:37 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Rocky Mountain rivals meet up as Rapids face RSL Jun 5
- Techera helps 'Caps end losing skid May 30