Henry scores lone goal but leaves injured as New York tops RevsApr 28, 2012 - 9:51 PM Harrison, NJ (Sports Network) - Thierry Henry's seventh-minute goal was enough for Red Bull New York to claim a 1-0 home victory against the New England Revolution on Saturday, but it may have come at a cost.
After opening the scoring with his ninth goal of the campaign in the early minutes from Connor Lade's pass, Henry went down with a hamstring injury that could threaten to keep him out for the next few games, including a showdown with the Los Angeles Galaxy next weekend.
Saturday's contest was the first time all season that New York was able to keep a clean sheet, and it helped the club snap a brief two-game winless skid while the Revs have lost their last three games.
It didn't take the Red Bulls long to seize the advantage as Lade played a ball up the left side for Henry, who tracked it down near the edge of the penalty area and looped a shot over the head of goalkeeper Matt Reis, who was caught off his line.
Dax McCarty nearly doubled the advantage from a corner kick as he was on hand at the back post to turn a shot on goal that struck the woodwork five minutes later.
Reis was kept busy in the first 20 minutes but New York's pressure dissipated a bit after Henry went down injured in the 23rd minute.
Saer Sene came within inches of equalizing before halftime for New England when he danced past a group of defenders and forced goalkeeper Ryan Meara to push his shot off the post.
New York spent much of the second half pinned back in its own end, but Meara made sure his team held on to three points by saving Benny Feilhaber's header from eight yards before producing a diving stop on Lee Nguyen in stoppage time to preserve the win.
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
NEW YORK: 1
Apr 28 5:44 PM
- New York Goal - Henry 9 (Lade), 7th minute
Revolution 0, Red Bulls 1 1st - 8'Apr 28 4:01 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 28 3:52 PM
- Wright-Phillips, Red Bulls down NYCFC at Yankee Stadium Jun 29
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Red Bulls, NYCFC set for New York derby Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19