TFC matches worst MLS start after last-gasp goal from SteeleApr 29, 2012 - 4:02 AM Sandy, UT (Sports Network) - Toronto FC sustained its seventh loss in seven games to start the MLS season on Saturday, falling 3-2 to Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium.
The defeat ties Toronto with the 1999 Kansas City Wizards (0-7-0) for the worst start in league history, but this one has to hurt more than the previous six.
TFC battled back from a goal down in the second half to equalize in the 77th minute, but substitute Jonny Steele came off the bench to bury the winning goal in stoppage time, giving RSL its first win in four games.
Salt Lake started well with Kyle Beckerman scoring from close range following a corner kick after seven minutes, but Jamison Olave gave away a penalty kick 10 minutes later.
Torsten Frings stepped to the spot for the visitors but his shot struck the outside of the post, squandering a big chance.
Alvaro Saborio had a goal ruled out for an offside call that appeared to be questionable for the hosts, and Toronto took advantage by equalizing early in the second half through Eric Avila.
Avila then struck the crossbar a few minutes later, but TFC was undone by a bit of bad luck as a free kick struck the knee of Toronto defender Richard Eckersley and was redirected into his own net shortly before the hour mark.
However, Doneil Henry appeared to have rescued his team in the 77th minute when he turned a header past goalkeeper Nick Rimando from Miguel Aceval's corner kick.
Toronto dodged a bullet in the 90th minute when Saborio put the ball in the net and had it called back for a debatable foul.
But the visitors weren't off the hook and Steele made them pay when Beckerman left him a first-time strike from inside the area that he expertly put away.
- TORONTO FC: 2
REAL SALT LAKE: 3
Apr 28 11:02 PM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Steele 2 (Beckerman, Morales), 90th minute
Toronto FC 2, Real Salt Lake 3 2nd - 89'Apr 28 11:02 PM
- Toronto Goal - Henry 1 (Aceval), 77th minute
Toronto FC 2, Real Salt Lake 2 2nd - 79'Apr 28 10:44 PM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Eckersley (OG), 57th minute
Toronto FC 1, Real Salt Lake 2 2nd - 60'Apr 28 10:24 PM
- Toronto Goal - Avila 1 (Johnson), 48th minute
Toronto FC 1, Real Salt Lake 1 2nd - 51'Apr 28 10:15 PM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Beckerman 1 (Schuler), 7th minute
Toronto FC 0, Real Salt Lake 1 1st - 9'Apr 28 9:17 PM
- TORONTO FC: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Apr 28 9:07 PM
- Columbus earns draw with RSL at Rio Tinto Jun 28
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- Columbus hits the road to face RSL Jun 26
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- New York halts losing skid against nine-man RSL Jun 24
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- RSL tries to pile more misery on RBNY Jun 23
- Garcia leaves it late as RSL edges SKC Jun 22
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- RSL tries to slow streaking Sporting Jun 19
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19