Sene helps New England top ColoradoMay 3, 2012 - 2:09 AM Foxborough, MA (Sports Network) - Saer Sene scored once and added an assist to help the New England Revolution snap a three-game losing skid with a 2-1 defeat of the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday.
The French striker helped the Revs overturn Jaime Castrillon's 21st-minute goal, equalizing in the 27th minute before setting up Fernando Cardenas for the game-winner just before the close of the first half.
Colorado jumped out to a first-half lead when Martin Rivero's corner kick was met by a powerful header from Castrillon. The Colombian made a darting run to the near post, beat his mark and nodded the delivery past Matt Reis for his second goal of the season.
The lead was short-lived as Sene leveled the score just six minutes later. Clyde Simms sent a long cross to the back post where Stephen McCarthy rose above his defender to head the ball back across goal. Sene was unmarked and made the Rapids pay, firing a shot through traffic and into the back of the net.
Sene turned provider for New England before the close of the first half, slipping a ball to the outside of the box for Cardenas to chip a lofty shot over the head of Matt Pickens.
That goal turned out to be all New England would need to claim its first win in over a month as a tame second half saw the home side collect all three points.
New England (3-5-0) improves to nine points on the season and climbs from ninth to fourth in the Eastern Conference. A big test looms for the Revs on Saturday as they head to Rio Tinto Stadium to face Real Salt Lake.
Colorado (4-5-0) has lost four of its last five league contests, but returns home for a match against Western Conference foes FC Dallas on Sunday at Dick's Sporting Goods Park where the Rapids will look to get back to winning ways.
- COLORADO: 1
NEW ENGLAND: 2
May 2 9:59 PM
- New England Goal - Cardenas 1 (Sene), 38th minute
Rapids 1, Revolution 2 1st - 41'May 2 8:50 PM
- New England Goal - Sene 3 (McCarthy), 27th minute
Rapids 1, Revolution 1 1st - 29'May 2 8:37 PM
- Colorado Goal - Castrillon 2 (Rivero), 21st minute
Rapids 1, Revolution 0 1st - 22'May 2 8:31 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 2 8:09 PM
- Sporting continues home success against Rapids Jun 27
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Rapids roll into Kansas City to tussle with Sporting Jun 26
- Second-half spurt leads Orlando past Colorado Jun 24
- Kamara leads the way as Columbus edges New England Jun 24
- Orlando tries to get back on track against Rapids Jun 23
- Revs, Crew SC tangle at MAPFRE Stadium Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Serna's late goal rescues Rapids Jun 19
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- West rivals clash as Rapids host FCD Jun 18