TFC makes MLS history in loss to UnitedMay 5, 2012 - 10:09 PM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Toronto FC made history on Saturday at BMO Field, but unfortunately for the Canadian outfit it was for all the wrong reasons as the club sustained its eighth successive defeat to begin an MLS season, losing 2-0 against D.C. United.
The previous mark was seven straight defeats set by the 1999 Kansas City Wizards, but TFC was unable to avoid setting the record for futility as second-half goals from Chris Pontius and substitute Hamid Salihi handed United its third win in four games.
Toronto had the best chance in the first half when Ashtone Morgan's pass was deflected into the path of Ryan Johnson, who forced a diving save from goalkeeper Bill Hamid.
However, United came to life after the break and took the lead in the 55th minute.
A Toronto defender cleared the ball off the goal line from a United corner kick in the 54th minute, only for Pontius to hammer a left-footed shot beyond goalkeeper Milos Kocic from 20 yards one minute later.
United doubled its lead 15 minutes from time when Brandon McDonald's flicked header dropped into the path of Salihi, who was able to remain onside and volley the ball inside the far post.
Hamid's net came under a bit of pressure over the final 10 minutes but he was never seriously threatened and was able to hang on to his clean sheet.
- D.C. UNITED: 2
TORONTO FC: 0
May 5 6:00 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Salihi 2 (McDonald, King), 75th minute
D.C. United 2, Toronto FC 0 2nd - 76'May 5 5:42 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Pontius 4 (McDonald), 55th minute
D.C. United 1, Toronto FC 0 2nd - 56'May 5 5:22 PM
- D.C. UNITED: 0
TORONTO FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 5 4:08 PM
- DCU, TFC play to scoreless draw Jun 27
- In-form TFC meets East leaders DCU Jun 26
- Doyle's blast fires DCU past Chicago Jun 24
- Bradley, Giovinco help TFC topple Montreal Jun 24
- United aims for second straight win against Fire Jun 23
- Canadian rivals clash as TFC tangles with Montreal Jun 23
- Rolfe's double leads United past Revs Jun 21
- Villa's brace propels NYC past TFC Jun 20
- East rivals tangle as DCU hosts Revolution Jun 19
- TFC, NYC aim to continue winning ways Jun 19
- Orlando City ready to tangle with DCU at Cirtus Bowl Jun 12
- TFC's Giovinco claims second straight Player of the Week honor Jun 9