Hassli secures dramatic win over San JoseMay 6, 2012 - 1:17 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - Eric Hassli played the role of the hero at BC Place on Saturday as his late goal helped Vancouver Whitecaps FC claim a dramatic 2-1 win over the San Jose Earthquakes.
Chris Wondolowski continued his sensational scoring form by giving the visitors the lead in the 15th minute, but Vancouver was able to equalize through Gershon Koffie's header five minutes before the break.
The two sides remained deadlocked until second-half stoppage time when Hassli scored his first MLS goal of the season to help the 'Caps move to within five points of first place in the Western Conference.
San Jose went in front after a quarter of an hour, and it was the team's leading scorer who provided the killer touch. Marvin Chavez delivered a perfect ball to the back post and Wondolowski buried the finish for his league-leading 11th goal of the season.
Vancouver was able to get on level terms shortly before halftime when Camilo Sanvezzo's free kick was met by Koffie's powerful header. It was the Ghanaian's second career MLS goal and his first of the season.
The 'Caps staved off some second-half pressure to preserve the draw but had a golden opportunity to grab a late winner through Hassli, but the striker slammed his effort wide of the post from close range.
Hassli made amends for that miss moments later, latching on to a through ball from Davide Chiumiento and firing a shot past Jon Busch and into the back of the net.
Vancouver (5-2-2) has won three in a row to improve to 17 points on the season. The club will look to extend that impressive run on May 12 when it heads to Gillette Stadium to face the New England Revolution.
San Jose (7-2-1) sees its three-game winning streak, and seven-game unbeaten streak, come to end. The 'Quakes will try to get back on track on May 13 when they host Chivas USA at Buck Shaw Stadium.
- SAN JOSE: 1
VANCOUVER FC: 2
May 5 9:01 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Hassli 1 (Chiumiento), 90th minute
Earthquakes 1, Whitecaps FC 2 2nd - 89'May 5 9:00 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Koffie 1 (Sanvezzo), 40th minute
Earthquakes 1, Whitecaps FC 1 1st - 40'May 5 7:48 PM
- San Jose Goal - Wondolowski 11 (Chavez), 15th minute
Earthquakes 1, Whitecaps FC 0 1st - 15'May 5 7:24 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 5'
May 5 7:13 PM
- 'Caps ease past Revs at Gillette Jun 27
- Galaxy, 'Quakes set for California Clasico Jun 26
- 'Caps continue road trip in New England Jun 26
- Ousted saves two PK's as Whitecaps top Red Bulls Jun 20
- San Jose doubles up on Sounders Jun 20
- Red Bulls try to stop the rot against Vancouver Jun 19
- Sounders on the hunt for 2nd straight win against 'Quakes Jun 19
- Manneh's strike sends 'Caps past Galaxy Jun 7
- Dallas eyes turnaround at San Jose Jun 5
- Whitecaps hope to end struggles at Galaxy Jun 5
- Canadian rivals clash as Impact host 'Caps Jun 2
- Techera helps 'Caps end losing skid May 30